Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roscoe1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
    SER service cable
    Hello,

My service to my house is 200 amps and terminates on the side of my house with a service disconnect located next to the meter... breaker style. This service feeds a sub panel that is where all my circuits terminate. It currently is fed through PVC conduit with Aluminum conductors. I want to relocate the panel, and using pipe would be very difficult. My question is am I allowed to use jacketed SER aluminum cable 4/0-4/0-2/0 to refeed this panel, as this would allow a little more flexibility than using pipe, and will it still be considered 200 amps considering service is defined as the first point of disconnect... and that is the breaker on the outside of the house.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Well, knowing your location would help. Certain areas DO require conduit in many situations.
    My first call would be to your local building department. They can answer this more accurately than anyone.

Also, you will need SER cable, NOT SEU, since your service disconnect is outside and separate from your service panel. SER is 4/0, 4/0, 4/0, 2/0.
    mbackususmc Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
    As long as your main service disconnect is on the side of your house as you describe, your panel inside your house would be considered a sub and would not require a pipe per NFPA, if you have a local code requiring it to be in pipe I would be amazed. The main thing that you would have to know is that the bonding would not be done at your panel but at your service disconnect. You will have a panel that is main lug not breaker and the ground (bare) would go into your grounding bar (with no bonding screw installed. You should also be required to install a #4 bare from your neutral bar to your water pipe or other approved means per NFPA art. 250 Hopefully this is helpful
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Two quick notes:

Quote Originally Posted by mbackususmc
    You will have a panel that is main lug not breaker and the ground (bare) would go into your grounding bar (with no bonding screw installed.
    This is true, but there is nothing illegal about using a main breaker panel.

Quote Originally Posted by mbackususmc
    You should also be required to install a #4 bare from your neutral bar to your water pipe or other approved means per NFPA art. 250
    The water bond and grounding electrode conductors MUST at or before the MAIN service panel/disconnect. This is per the NEC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable [ 23 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an old house. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. We put in a 200 amp service and need to run a service entrance cable about 20 -25 ft to the inside breaker panel. My question is how big of a gauge wire should we run for the service entance cable. #? 3 conductor with ground in...

Service entrance cable [ 2 Answers ]

Having new 100amp meter installed professionally,but I am burying wire to the building which is 125' from where meter is mounted. Will I have to upsize the size of wire because of the distance? I also intend to enclose in conduit, so I'm not worried about using "U" coded wire

Ser cable [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run it across the driveway,or put in cable box

Securing SER cable at outdoor service switch [ 1 Answers ]

What options for securing 4/0 SER at the outdoor service entrance breaker box - Frame house, service switch located on exterior on siding - thanks

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

View more questions Search