Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gearhead48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Design a motion detecting circuit
    How can I construct a basic circuit that will detect the movement of a small animal, such as a mouse. I am thinking along the lines of the motion, or infrared detecting devices that are used in "no touch" towel dispensers, hand dryers, and a number of other devices these days. I would like the circuit to control enough volt*amps to operate a relay which would then control other devices. The circuit should be powered by D cell batteries so as to be completely portable. Use as many batteries as necessary.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:45 PM
    LEGO Shop - LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT

This Lego robot is probably overkill for what you want, but thought you might be interested. My son has one, and they are very versatile. They have motion sensors and other sensors that they can be programmed for as well.
    Gearhead48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    LEGO Shop - LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT

This Lego robot is probably overkill for what you want,...
    You are absolutely right. This is extremely interesting, but overkill. My emphasis is on doing this as economically as possible, because I may be making 10 to 20 of these. :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 01:29 PM

I would use an IR emitter and detector, and may use 2 pairs in an X pattern, crossing at the center so a Mouse? Would trigger a solenoid release only when he is in the center of the X, not just break 1 set of beams?
    One of my security companies sell these as pairs. I think you could detect a cock roach, may have to have the emitter in a blackened straw or tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Design [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I start if I need to make a scematic to create a circuit that has a 100 ohm resistor and it gives 3 1/2 volts - plus or minus 5%. I can use as many 1.5 volt batteries as needed.

Motion sensor and regular switch in same circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I have a very large room that has entrances at both ends. Both entrances get about the same amount of traffic but it is mostly pass-through traffic. One end needs to be motion sensored as flipping a switch may not always be practical. What I want to do is have a regular switch at one end and a...

Circuit Design [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. I am currently working on the electrical portion of my basement remodel and wanted some input on my circuits. For starters I have 200 amp service and plenty of room in my box, so space is not a concern. I am planning on having a rec room, utility room, laundry room, bathroom, and wet bar. ...

Circuit design question [ 1 Answers ]

I have previously wired a storage room in my basement, and tied into an existing circuit. The storage room run is switched, with 5 track lights, using a total of 600W maximum, with 3-4 receptacles at the end of the run. I am now in the process of finishing the larger basement, and would like...

View more questions Search