Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courious me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Betta fish
    Do betta fish really need an air pump in their tank/bowl? Can they just sit in still water? And if they are in s5till water, how often do you have to change the water??
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
    No, they do not need an air pump.
    Beta fish breath through an organ called a labyrinth, it is comparable to our lungs.
    They surface to the top of the water to breath in a gulp of air.

If you are planning to keep your beta in a small beta bowl, the water should be changed no less than every other day.
    If you plan on keeping it in an aquarium or tank with a filter, then a partial monthly water change is all that's needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Emergency! [ 9 Answers ]

I don't know what's wrong with my fish... I thinks its called the "balloon belly molly fish" something like that, It has a big stomach but it looks like a regular fish now, but there's a pink spiral thing coming from the backside of the fish.. its short but pretty thick... I had 2 of this fish at...

GH/KH concern with new Betta [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :), I have a 6 gallon tank in my office with a PH of 7.2, and a GH and KH of about 53.7, (as far as I'm understanding on the API test kit.) I just got my Betta and plan to put him in his new home this evening; but I'm trying to figure out if my GH and KH levels are all right. Some of...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

View more questions Search