Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Mar 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
    93 civic not starting, could not retrieve error codes. How to test the ECU ?
    Hello,

I have a starting problem with my civic 93 (4-door). Symptoms : good cranking , no spark and ECL goes away after 2 seconds as usual. It happened when I started it for 5 minutes and when I was trying to move... it stopped suddenly.
    - I checked the main relay.. re soldered its pins (did not help)
    - I replaces the spark plus wires and the distributor cap (did not help)
    - I checked all fuses (all were fine).
    - Could not retrieve the error codes using the 1-pair connector and a jumper wire and the ECL stayed on all the time.
    - I replaced the coil (did not help). No spark.
    - I checked the MAP sensor for 5 V... gives 4 V.
    - I replaced the igniter. It started fine.. I tried only once, stayed for 5 minutes.. I turned it off and left it till next day. The following day I fixed the main relay in its place and tightened the distributor cap.. not starting at all. (all parts ought are the original ones from Honda).
    - I checked the battery cables, cleaned them (did not help).
    - I took off the ECU, opened it and its looks fine and I put it back.. same thing. It seems that the ECU is not giving the signal to the igniter.
    - I tried to retrieve the error codes... same result.. the ECL stayed on. I recharged the battery few times already to make sure it is fine.. cranking is fine.. seems no spark.

What is wrong ? How to troubleshoot the ECU ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 05:23 PM
    . Clean main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing.

. Clean MAP Sensor connector of any oxidation.

. Perform K-Test at various times. ECM is likely bad, if reference voltage is less than 5 volts.
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Mar 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Well, I have done some checks this afternoon... and all was fine... I thought again about the distributor... and said may be there is something wrong there... and I started checking wires.. Guess what ? I have found the negative terminal of the coil loose.. I think I have installed it when it was very cold outside and was difficult to work efficiently.. besides the two little screws heads of the coil were worn out... so I tightened them.. and there it is.. it starts easily. I admit that my car has never started well before (may be needed some tuning).

Thank you very much... your advice was a great help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I display ECU codes on a 1993 Civic (5th gen)? [ 10 Answers ]

Can't seem to find that info on the net, only up to 91 (4th gen). Thanks, Phil

Honda Civic (2000) ECU CVT error [ 3 Answers ]

Service diagnostic of my Honda Civic (manufacturing year - 2000) ECU showed the error 30-1. It seems to be the CVT error. Does there anybody know, what this error means? Could it be because of old dirty oil in CVT? The car was driven over 80.000 km, and oil has never changed.

How do I read error codes on a 1990 civic? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: when I turn the ignition to on (not start) my computer blinks once then pauses and does 16 short blinks? What does this mean? And where is my igniter? I'm getting ready to go to autozone to get my coil and igniter checked... since my cel light doesn't go off... is that why I am having no...

How Do I Read Error Codes on 91 Civic Hatchback [ 4 Answers ]

My car won't start... how do you read the codes? I've found conflicting info. My brother Thinks it was 1 pause 1 pause 3, but that dosen't seem right for the problem. The car Is turning over but won't start... no spark. Help, please... thanks.

Honda Civic '97 - Error Codes? [ 3 Answers ]

So I've read through the FAQ and all of that, but I do not see any spot to read error codes as was listed in the FAQ, which I assume was meant for the 88-91's. Anyway, my car was dead yesterday, low power/didn't turn over. Took my battery to Sears, the battery is good, which leads me to believe it...

View more questions Search