Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blake77005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
    New Toilet in Attic Room
    I am trying to add a new bathroom in an attic room I have planned all the water lines are available but as far as a waste line for a toilet all I have to connect to is the 2" vent line... is it possible to connect a toilet to this line.. if not the toilet is directly below (8')... so where could I expect the larger line be connected to that waste line..

Thanks
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake77005
    I have to connect to is the 2" vent line...is it possible to connect a toilet to this line
    No you may not, for two reasons: 1) A toilet requires at least a 3" drain pipe, and 2) that would render the downstairs toilet improperly vented. Even though there is such a concept called "wet-venting" in which a pipe can serve as a vent for one fixture and a drain for another fixture, it's more complicted than a separate drain or vent even under normal circumstances - all the more so when you're overloading the poor pipe (as mention in reason #1).

Sorry!
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Moshie was bang on target whem he told you that a 2" discharge for your attic bathroom group wouldn't fly. However there might still be a way. A 2" vent is not a main vent. Main vents are between 3 and 4" out the roof. Most houses have a main vent and I would be surprised if yours didn't. Moshie was correct again when he said, " 2) that would render the downstairs toilet improperly vented."( I don't know why this man isn't out in the field doing plumbing)
    Here's the drill. If you can locate a main vent in the attic you may tie the bathroon groups toilets discharge line to that. Connect the lavatory drain to the toilets line and a tub/showers discharge line to the lavatorys drain line. After you run a vent off the lavatory out the roof or revent back tnto the main vent you will have vented and wet vented the attic group.
    That was the easy part. There will be a bathroom group under the attic that used the stackvent out the roof to vent their bathroom group. By discharging the attic group past the group under it you have changed the vent stack to a soil stack that the group under can no longer vent into. This means you will have to open up walls, block off the existing vent connection to the now soil stack and extend the vent up to over 6" over the flood rim of the highest fixture and revent back into the attic vent. However, if local codes allow you may vent this group using a AAV cheater vent. Any time you figure on adding a bathroom group your getting into major surgery. You're going to need some degree of plumbing skill and knowledge to accomplish this. All I'm saying is, If you're unsure of yourself call in a licensed plumber to lay the job out and advise you on what fittings and material you'll have to purchase. By seeking professional advice and then doing the labor yourself you'll save a bundle and get the job done right. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrel in the attic [ 10 Answers ]

There is a baby squirrel up in my folks attic. My mean daddy put poison up there and fortunatly the squirrel did not eat it but dumped the box out the attic window. I heard to use mothballs and vinegar but daddy won't use them for some reason. How do I get this baby out of the attic?

Attic plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im looking for info on adding a complete bathroom to my attic, my question Is really about the drains, I want to ad a shower, tiolet, sink. There is a bathroom almost directly (about 3ft over ) below where I would like to put this. I was wondering if I can connect to the drains...

Attic bath [ 1 Answers ]

I'm finishing the attic space and need help connecting a shower and toilet together. A 3" drain and hot/cold supply lines have already been run up from the crawl space but pop up close to the eaves of the space. So I have got to come across a few joists to my fixtures. Because of the head room,...

Odor in toilet room [ 5 Answers ]

We just finished a remodel and the toilet was moved a few feet in a separate room. The toilet has two flush modes (small and large) and due to the remodel the waste line travels a ways with two large radius 90 degree bends. It's vented of course. I've noticed a musty odor in the room, but it's...

Attic condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a feeling I know the answer to my query but I have to ask to be sure. My home is a quad level (tri-level with a full basement) when I was up in the attic over the weekend checking out insulation levels I noticed that on the underside of the north facing roof I had some condensation dripping...

View more questions Search