Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deo1277 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
    VCR problems on my new Hannspree HDTV
    I have recently purchased a 720p HDTV which has very good picture quality when viewing through any of the HDMI, Scart or normal TV channels. When I Fast Forward my video tapes on SP, everything is fine, but when my tape has been recorded in LP mode and I Fast Forward, I lose the images completely, ending up with a blue screen, as though the HDTV is unable to display the fast moving tape. As I regularly tape in LP mode so I can watch at my convenience, can I do anything to stop this happening please, as it is difficult to skip adverts with no visible picture.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Mar 9, 2008, 09:37 PM
    VHS tapes recorded in LP are less stable (quality-wise) than SP tapes. It's just because of the differences in how they are recorded. Your TV automatically goes into a "blue screen" when the picture is unstable or static. When fast forwarding or rewinding an LP tape, your VCR produces a very unstable, bouncy, static-filled signal, because of the LP format. Therefore your TV is "reading" it as "static" and therefore giving you the blue screen.

You should lose the blue screen once you hit play, right? If not, either avoid viewing the tape while fast-forwarding (you can do this by hitting "STOP" then "FF") or otherwise stopping the tape before playing it. This kind of "resets" the unstable image going to your television set.

Although you can't avoid this with LP tapes, you MAY be able to go into your HDTV's menus and turn of "Blue Screen" or whatever your TV manufacturer calls it.

All of these silly features new TVs come with are made to help, but often times lead to further confusion.

If I can help any further or expand further, let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a dvd/vcr combo & PVR to hdtv [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Samsung HP-S4253 (Samsung HP-S4253 Specs. Flat-panel TVs Specifications., I currently have a Motorola DCT 6416 III (Hardware - HDPVR) hooked up to it (its setup through Shaw Cable) and I also have a Panasonic DVD/VCR (DMR-ES46V) (DMR-ES46VS - Hot Deals - Shop and Compare at...

Hookup of Directv, HDTV and DVD/VCR using splitter [ 4 Answers ]

I previously had Comcast, I had the cable line hooked up to a splitter that went to the HDTV and the other to the VCR/DVD. I now have Directv - the tech that installed Directv said I could not use the splitter anymore. He did hook up the VCD/DVD so that I can record programs but I cannot watch...

How to connect GoVideo VCR/DVD combo to Sony HDTV [ 2 Answers ]

I've connected the Sony HDTV to the cable box with the HDMI cables. Connected the component cables from the TV to the VCR/DVD player with all the appropriate colors. The VCR/DVD player is plugged in and works but no picture when the TV is on input HDMI, and the VCR player works when on input...

Connecting old TV, vcr, and dvd/vcr combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old TV with just a coax connector. I have a Zenith VCR and a Go Video dvd/vcr combo. I currently have them set up with an RF mod. Which lets me use the stand alone vcr and the dvd part of the dvd/vcr combo. However, the way I now have this set up, I cannot use the vcr part of the...

Trying to connect Zenith DVD/VCR HTIB to Emerson LCD HDTV? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I (actually my mother) has just bought a 32 inch Emerson LCD HDTV model #LC320EM8 and I need to connect the Zenith DVD/VCR HTIB model #XBS444 that I bought three years ago to it. There is no cable box currently. I have the normal hookup like you would have the cable going into the VCR...

View more questions Search