Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SantaClaus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Working in NY, Living in NJ - No W2 for NJ
    Hi,

If you live in NJ and work in NY and did not receive a W2 for NJ, how do you file taxes for NJ. (There is no income at all from NJ)

Thanks,
    Santa
    johncat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaClaus
    Hi,

If you live in NJ and work in NY and did not recieve a W2 for NJ, how do you file taxes for NJ. (There is no income at all from NJ)

Thanks,
    Santa
    I am dealing with a related issue in a question I have posted. I understand that you are required to file a return in your State of residency because it is the requirement of most States. I have found detailed answers on State websites in the recent past to questions such as yours.
    SantaClaus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Can you please post the link to the thread/post you have added.

Thanks,
    Santaclaus
    johncat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Hi SC,

Well, I'm not sure, now that you ask. I had thought that if I have a residence in a State (or, for example, had a corporation in a State, which is in essence the same as being a person with an address) that I would have to file a return even though I might not have had any income. If you're a resident of a State but had no income in that State then you would file a return stating that you had no income.
    Apologies for my post, I had tried to edit it to state someof what I just wrote but for some reason the edit didn't work. My edited answer was a little better than the one that you saw. At any rate, I am not an accountant and I don't really know the answer to your question. I had found in the past that the State websites do have the answers to those types of questions. So it may be worth your looking up the NJ State website up and hunting around in the section on taxes. Or even just calling them directly.

Thank you.

The thread I posted can be found here.
    I would be thrilled if someone had some experience with my topic. I'm actually seeking to change my State of residence but retain my worker status here in NY State for a number of reasons one of which I get into in my thread.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
    SantaClaus:
    You must file tax returns for both NY and NJ states. First you will complete NY tax return as nonresident.
    Then you will complete NJ tax return as resident or part year resident. On your NJ return, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in NY, working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

1) How are state income taxes determined when a person lives in NY, but works in NJ?. and whatever the answer, is it also explained in the two states 1040 publications that are mailed to residents every year along w/the forms? 2) What are the exact criteria regarding "telecommuting"? For...

Living in NY working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What type of taxes will I have living in NY and working in NJ? Do I get taxed twice or what? Why do I have to pay taxes in NY if I'm in NJ? Im confused about this whole thing is it worth living in NY and working in NJ?

Living in WV, Working in VA [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in Virginia. However, I live in WV. Will my employer withhold WV tax and if they don't, how do I have them withheld? Additionally, how do we handle this when we file our annual tax returns? Will I have to file a return for both WV and VA? :confused: Thanks...

Living n Nj and working in Ny [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just move to Jersey City, NJ and I work in Manhattan, NY. I would like to know what taxes do I pay to NY and what do I pay to NJ and what is the by-weekly percentage taken off for each one of these deductions. Thank yoou

Living in NY but working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NJ but we live in NY. His job sent him so many w-2's it is so confusing. We use taxcut to do our taxes usually. Do we have to enter w-2's separately like one for NY and one for NJ? Or just add them up? Any help would be appreciated. For federal we would have to...

View more questions Search