Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 08:15 AM
    I agree, you don't get much for $55 when it comes to pumps. Afriend of mine owners a large pond company and holds several patents on filters. He has some company in China that builds his pumps for him and he pays $60 to get the pump, sells for about $175.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Hi ballengerb1, and yes, I paid $55 for a pump that at the moment is sitting in my pond collecting algae :)

I purchased a Watermaster Fountain Pump for medium sized outdoor pumps, 1000lph, 12 volt. It says it has a maximum flow of 1000 litres per hour - more like 10 drips per minute, I'd say.

It has a 2 year warranty so I'll take it back to where I bought it this weekend, and ask if I haven't set it up wrong.

The plugs are both 3 prong and I am definitely feeling nervous about the cord not being grounded.

Mar 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Ok we may have a typo here or something is mixed up. 12 volt is like a car battery, they do make 12 volt pumps but they would not necessarily have a 3 prong plug. If you have have a 3 prong plug that plugs into a household outlet is is nearly 100% sure its grounded. The third propng is the ground wire but once in a blue moon somebody will install one improperly. If you have a testor or meter I can tell you how to safely check. No meter, I can still tell you how to check but just not quite as safe.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 07:46 PM
    I have the packaging with me and it clearly says 12 voltage/16 watts pump rating. I'll have to wait until I get home to double check the number of prongs at the pump outlet. The extension cord is definitely 3 pronged.

Thanks

Mar 18, 2008, 08:04 PM
    There must be a transformer in this wiring, usually a black brick shaped thing the size of an egg. Have a look at my buddy's company site reagrding pumps. AquaForce Pond Pump When you are done reading about his pumps take alook at the rest of the site or save it as a favorite for future use. I have used his stuff foir nearly 20 years, not cheap but very high quality.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Here are the bits as they're labelled:

Regulator
    Front plate
    Impeller holder
    Seal ring
    Shaft
    Impeller
    Motorhead
    Suction bracket

No transformer mentioned on the packaging...

Am I supposed to hook the hose up to the pump by any chance to get the fountain working?

I've looked at your buddy's company site -- looks good, but just hope I won't have to buy another pump :)
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Mar 19, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis

am i supposed to hook the hose up to the pump by any chance to get the fountain working

Yes or no... depending on how you are wanting it. The little hole on the side (if I am looking at the correct model) towards the bottom. If you are wanting a waterfall... use a hose at that hole and run to a build up of rocks to flow over to make air bubbles for the fish. If you are wanting an over the water fountain... the pvc piping will connect to that hose to run up towards the surface of the pond to make the "fountain".
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Hi ballengerb1, the pump has a 3 pronged plug...

And thanks rpg219. I have not attached a hose and water is only dribbling out of the top. Shouldn't the pump make a reasonable amount of bubbles for stirring the water without attaching a hose? Does fresh water need to be running through the hose?

Mar 20, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Frang... the water that runs though the hose is being pulled in from the pond and recirculated. From the top (if we are not confusing each other) there should be some type of pvc hookup that has the water going somewhat like a fountain. See the attached link...
    Wholesale Pumps, Pond Fountains, Pond Pumps, Submersible Lights, Floating Fountains, Kasco, Scott
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Okay, I fiddled around with the pump and took the spray attachment off the top, then voila, water is not exactly gushing, but certainly pouring nicely up out of the spout. It looks pretty and makes that lovely sound of a babbling brook.

It isn't a fountain and looks nothing like the examples in your link, but will do.

Thanks for that! And sorry you had to 'frang' :)

Mar 23, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Glad you got it to work... the way you like it! :) Any help I can offer... always glad to do it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 05:26 PM
    You've all been wonderful... only I'm now wondering about the electrical cord that's been exposed to a lot of rain already. Unfortunately it has to run along the ground for about a meter and then up and around through the shed window, which doesn't seem ideal.

Do you happen to have any ideas on how to make sure it's safe?

Mar 25, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Its been a while since we talked about three prongs but I think you said your pump and cord were 3 prongs. That means its grounded but does not insure its 100% safe. If you want to go the big step toward safety you would need to install a GFCI outlet or a breaker in your panel. They do make a GFCI that plugs into a normal outlet and then you plug your cord into that. If you do the work yourself you are looking at $20.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Okay, that doesn't sound so daunting. I'll look into it. Ta.

Mar 25, 2008, 06:01 PM
    The easiest is the GFCI that plugs into a standard outlet, just ask at the home store.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Okidoki...

Mar 26, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Our cord to the pump has been going along the ground for well over 10 years.

Safe? Not sure now, lol. When we originally started digging for ponds... we were told the cords are made to withstand weather and such... they are made to be submersed in the water, so rain wouldn't hurt it.

Hey ballenger... what is your take on this??
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:46 AM
    OMG! 10 years is a long time for a cord to be running over your lawn... lol

Mar 26, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Lol... yea, guess it can't be that bad... no fires or explosions... yet, lol
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Well geez, I guess that should make me feel a lot better... not! Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children's movie late 80's ish... [ 8 Answers ]

I remember watching a film when I was younger and I can't remember the name of it. It was animated, and had green goblin type creature things in it with pointy ears. The main character was male, and he wore a brown pair of short and a white shirt or something. At the beginning of the film, he...

Yellow-ish smelly discharge [ 5 Answers ]

For the past two months I have been having a yellowish discharge. It is very smelly to. I don't know what it is I don't know what to do. Im scared to contact my doctor because I'm afraid she will tell my mother about it please help me

Oily/gasoline-ish smell [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 3 weeks there has been an oily/gasoline-ish smell in the house. This smell is at intermittent times. I have walked around and smelled EVRYTHING and cannot locate the source of the smell. I have cleaned and scrubbed all possible offenders: fridge, oven, garbage disposal, garbage cans,...

Skin abnormality; medical-ish, unnatural, not to do with tanning. [ 4 Answers ]

This is kind of embarrassing and gross, but whatever. :p Kay kay. I have this... growth... in my left armpit. o_O; I’ve had it twice before there in about the same spot, once in my right. Its diameter is about the size of a dime, it hurts--a lot--when it’s rubbed or touched by something, and it...

Brow-ish puss from Belly button... [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find this brown-ish puss around and inside my belly button , doesn't happen everyday but I sometimes find it when I'm getting dressed in the morning. My belly button is not peirced and it doesn't really hurt... this pus also has a terrible smell so id be more than happy to get rid of...

View more questions Search