Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fridayfwf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Dogs urinating in the house at night
    I have 2 dogs 8 yrs old that urinate in the house at
    Night. They have a doggie door and they use it all the
    Time during the day. I can never catch them urinating.
    I rub their noses in it after the fact. But it does no good. Please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 04:29 PM
    If this is fairly new, I would haul them in to the vet for a good check up, letting the vet know about the problem. Most changes of behavior call for a vet check first. You can't train a physical problem away. Please don't rub their nose in it. There are more effective corrections. Nothing does any good unless you catch them in the act. I doubt you will be able to catch them.

The only real solution is to crate the dogs at night. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.
    Sunni Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 30, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayfwf
    night. They have a doggie door and they use it all the
    time during the day. I can never catch them urinating.
    Hi Friday,
    We have a kennel that we put our dog in at night. Sometimes we have to get up in the middle of the night to let her out to potty (then we put her back in it), but it sure beats cleaning up a mess in the morning... good luck to you! Ta ta

~Sunni
    pamelamiller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayfwf
    night. They have a doggie door and they use it all the
    time during the day. I can never catch them urinating.
    I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy have you made any progress in solving the matter
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:56 PM
    It has been over 2 months since fridayfwf posted. Don't wait, but call the vet today. If it is not a physical problem, the crate should fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs won't stop marking things in the house [ 7 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me what is the best way to break my chihuahuha's (2 males)from marking their territory in the house?

Dog urinating in her sleep [ 2 Answers ]

Lately our dog has been urinating in her sleep. She is a very well trained 5 year old, and this seems to be a new problem. What could be causing her to do this?

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

Cats urinating in new home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I discovered my male cat urinating in my closet a few days ago... I have been watching him and checking the litter box often to see if he is going in there (which he is). My husband and I just moved into a new house that we built about 35 days ago. So, I was thinking that this is the issue. ...

Dog Urinating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 3-1/2 years old. He is a inside dog and has been house broken. All of a sudden he has been peeing in the house. He is let out 5 to 6 times a day and some times more. I don't understand why he is doing this. Nothing has changed here. Only him. I need help!!

View more questions Search