Ask
    wajaayur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 05:35 PM
    What to do if notified by IRS about missing capital gain
    What to do if notified by IRS about missing capital gain
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:52 PM
    File an amended tax return (Form 1040X) to reflect whatever discrepancy the IRS advises you exists with your current tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 07:13 AM
    If they sent you a notice with a proposed correction, no need for you to file a 1040-X. On the form they sent you indicate whether you agree with their proposed correction or not. If you agree you simply indicate as much and send along whatever you owe in additional taxes, interest and penalties. If want to dispute their proposal you can indicate that and submit supporting documentation.
    wajaayur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Thank you for all your answers. I called IRS today and was told to send in all the supported document for I disagreed with the proposed tax difference. IRS assumed that the missing capital gain's cost basis is zero. If I agreed, I gave them all the missing reported stocks plus a fine and interest without appreciation of any. If you use the tax return software, make a duplicate copy and rerun it with the correction. You should be able to spot the error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gain? [ 1 Answers ]

How much would an investor earn on a stock purchased 1 year ago for $63 if it paid an annual cash dividend of $3.75 and had just been sold for $67.50? Would the investor have experienced a capital gain? Explain Thanks.

Capital Gain Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have purchased a defaulted home as an investment property. I have renovated the home & now I am planning to sell it. I never used that home for my residence purpose. I know that property held for more than one year will be taxed as long term property. I want to know, how the holding...

Short term capital gain [ 3 Answers ]

What makes a short term capital gain qualified?

Capital gain taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello atlanta tax expert, yesterday I asked a question about capital gain taxes and I didn't give all the figures, sorry about that, Maybeit will help with my new question, my wife inherited 25% of some property that her mother owned when she passed away in 1997 50% was owned by her aunt and 25% by...

Capital Gain Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question about Capital gain tax I inherited a comercial property from my father in 1998. At the time of probate the property was valued at $150,000.00 I Have just accepted an offer to sell for $110,000.00 Do I owe Capital Gain Taxes?

View more questions Search