Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jan 28, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Help for bipolar 6-year-old
    My girlfriend has a 6 year old who has been diagnosed as bipolar. He goes monthly to a psychiatrist who writes a prescription for zyprexa, and haldol and that's all. She works full time but medical insurance is extra for her kids and she can't afford it.
    She seems to be getting the runaround about getting help for her son. The school seems to be trying to kick him out and have him placed in a special ed class. He does not appear to have any learning disabilities. He has night terrors about twice a week, he wets the bed, he is aggressive, and has attacked, children as well as adults at his school. He says that he has no friends because all of the kids at school are afraid of him, but also says that he would like to have friends. He has also said that he does not like to be touched, the one girl in his class tried to be his friend but he did not like the fact that he tried to hug him.
    He also has two older brothers who live in the house with him. Their father went to jail for three or for months, and the child's problems increased, when he came home, they decreased some, but did not go away.
    I asked her if there was a therapist involved working with the psychiatrist, she said no. I told her that she should try to get therapy for the boy with the problems, and also for her and her other two sons. The problem is she does not have any medical insurance, for herself or her kids. We are in Pennslyvania, Does anyone have any ideas about how she can get some help, for herself and her kids??
    This has been going on for over a year, and really nothing has changed. His teachers are basically trying to kick him out of school, because he attacked her. By the way, he is especially small for his age.
    tboette Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 02:53 PM
    I am a 34 year old mom and I really sympothize with you. I have an 18 year old with bipolar. He is on Medicaid. Has your girlfriend tried to get her child on Medicaid? I wish the best for both of you. It sounds as though my son and your girlfriends son have a lot of the same issues. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of help out there. I really think a councelor would help too (not just a Phsyciatrist). I am glad the Doctors were able to determine so quickly because with my child it took years to find out the problem. I tried to get him help when he was about 3 or 4 when I noticed he was different. He always talked about not having any friends because no one liked him, he also wet the bed until he was 13 (I found out later he was actually laying there awake and was too lazy to get up). He was the class clown. Also, I would get a second opinion on the Bipolar just to be safe because he is so young. The hospital my son was at diagnosed him Bipolar NOS which means not specified since he was so young @ 14. I hope this helped a little, just knowing someone does care.
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Feb 2, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Thank you, it's good to know that you're not the only one. It's a terrible thing to have to go through and not know anything at all, so every little bit helps. I hope things are goind well with your son.
    stacyellen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 11:40 AM
    I feel your concern & pain for your friend. I also have a 6 yr old that has been tentatively diagnosed as bipolar. I say tentatively, because he is so young, it is hard to diagnose at this age. My child also sees a therapist in conjunction with a psychiatrist. I will tell you, the therapist is more for me & the child's father than for the child... what I understand about bipolar, is it's a battle until you find the right mix of meds... and then as they get older the meds will need to be changed. The mother needs to be proactive (OK - pushy) and take the child back to the physchiatrist as many times as it takes to get the meds right. I am going through the same thing now with my child - his meds have been working great for about 6 months, and now al lof a sudden they aren't doing the job. It's tough and its heartbreaking, but hang in there and your friend is lucky to have you... I don't have someone to support me like you are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

Suicidal Bipolar Boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially if they have been through something similar. I have been dating my boyfriend off and on, mostly on for the past three years. He's grown increasingly more violent towards me. He never beats me up or anything but I'm definitely frightened by...

Bipolar? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search