Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Limited internet access: msn works, nothing else does
    My friend has been having the same problem with her internet for some time now. Her internet access lets her use MSN messenger, but only the version that comes with the Windows OS. Nothing else having to do with the internet works, (for example: web browsers, windows live messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.)

I'm stumped here. Any suggestions are welcome. :)
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
    If you get M$N then you have internet access -- Sounds like a security issue

Go to TOOLS ---> Internet Options ---> SECURITY -- Now check these settings

1. Highlight Internet --- > Click Custom Level -- Should be Medium -- Set to Med.

2. Highlight Local Int. ---> Click Custom Level ---Should Be Med/LOW--Set Med/low

3. Highlight Trusted Sites >Click Custom Level ---Should Be Medium -- Set to Med.

4. Highlight Restricted St >Click Custom Level ---Should be High --- Set To High

This may require a system restart -- You should OK restart and try other sites

You may want to EXIT your firewall to see if it is blocking access to other sites

If someone denied access to certain sites it will remember -- and block them
    tat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Okay, steps 1 through 4 will enable Internet Explorer to start working again. I hope it will; I'll have to tell her what to do when she gets home, and then I can get back to you.

But what about the fact that no other internet services may be run? If the firewall is responsible for that, how do you EXIT it?

Thank you for your suggestions!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Could you give more detail about what "browser not working" means. i.e. it just won't open, it opens but just gives you errors and can't open a page, it opens pages but stuff doesn't work, etc. And when you say "nothing else" do you mean literally nothing else? I'd find it odd if MSN messenger works but literally nothing else.

Even with security up at its highest, the browser would still open and it would still go most places, but some stuff wouldn't work. As for the Firewall: in XP, it's Start-->Control Panel-->Security Center -- you can get to firewall to turn it off from there. I don't know if Vista's the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Msn says that my gateway is offline but I am connected to the internet. [ 4 Answers ]

When trying to sign in it says the problem is that my gateway is offline. I have tried everything but don't understand how to sort it. Help would b greatly appreciated

Hotmail and msn access [ 3 Answers ]

can anyone help me? I have tried to sign in to my hotmail account and msn messenger and each time I do it says" signing in (attempt 2,3,4,5) we can not sign you in, there may be a problem with your internet service or our service." It also tells me to try again later. I have not been able to sign...

How internet works [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how internet works & what is the procedure to create web site

Wireless internet works fine, but. [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason, any computers that are connected via a cord cannot access the internet. Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I've checked all the cords and they're fine... internet worked perfectly last night, too.

View more questions Search