Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vintage_surf21 Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 29, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Can I make money drawing?
    I am a really good artist... at home... I haven't really explored my art in public. Only my family has seen my artwork. Is there any way of making a little extra dough on the side?
    Can you make money doing drawings and pastels? How do you go about it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
    There are stores that you may place your art in to sell, they get a commission, some do street side selling and drawing,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 12:18 AM
    Yes, you can make money doing your art. It does depend on where you are located and what sort of things that you are good at drawing or creating in other ways with the visual arts. What sort of mediums do you use and what sort of things is it that you are good at representing in some form of art, please?

Mar 2, 2008, 05:43 AM
    I am really good at pastels- really good at pencil drawings
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_surf21
    i am really good at pastels- really good at pencil drawings
    Then there are some people and also one person in particular on this site to whom I would like to introduce you. That would be jrebel7. She is an established artist who does shows with her work and does make money doing art for others. But, right now she isn't awake. There are also a few others here who do make there living doing the art that they produce.

Are you currently in school? If so, what grade, please? How long have you been doing your art?

Mar 2, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Here is a pastel I did a few years back for my aunt who often travels to Arfica.

I have been doing art since high school, but only took a few classes in architecture out of high school. I haven't explored fine arts yet, but have played around with pastels and pencils. I have also painted a few murals...

I am 25.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 02:06 AM
    What happened to the image of your pastel that you posted here, vintage_surf21? I saw it and it was good! I know that you would be openly and warmly welcomed here by those who do similar things that you do in art! Please post something again! There is a thread where doing that is particularly appropriate and welcome. It is located on the following link. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...ou-133294.html

Please don't let the thread intimidate you because it is so large. We are a very friendly and welcoming bunch over there! Please just pop in there and say "Hi!" Unfortunately, the thread is about ready to be closed because it has almost reached the limit of 1,500 posts for a thread. However, we are hopeful that another one like it will be started up again in the near future!
    Nurisim Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Have you heard of deviant art? I am a regular over there. In a lot of ways it certainly isn't the BEST art community out there, but they offer print services for subscribers, as well as a large customer base for those who would like to do commissions. That is if you are just interested in conducting business on the web- check it out if you would like at deviantART: where ART meets application!.

It is kind of sad, but I make virtual gold on Gaia (a web forum) by drawing fanart for 13 year olds ^.^ So embarrassing to admit it
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_surf21
    here is a pastel i did a few years back for my aunt who often travels to Arfica.

I have been doing art since highschool, but only took a few classes in architecture out of highschool. I haven't explored fine arts yet, but have played around with pastels and pencils. i have also painted a few murals...

i am 25.
    I would love to see the pastel. Maybe you could post it again?

Clough let me know about your post. There are so many ways to handle the selling or even showing of your art. I would first suggest that you find someone in your area that does "Giclee" prints. That person will scan your art work, save it to their computer so they can make any size prints you might want to sell. Keeps you from having to have a lot of prints you have to store until you sell them. That way if you sell the original, you have a way to make prints to sell later or you can retain the original and sell the prints only, have them made into greeting cards, book marks, etc. Giclee is the closest to the original I have found in prints. Archival inks are used on acid free paper. The person who scans my work, always makes a CD for me and keeps my work on his hard drive so I can place an order at anytime.

I won't go into a lot of detail here until you let me know what direction you would like to go with your work. As suggested by another poster, you can take your work to local shops, ask them if they would allow you to show your work there and generally you will just let them know how much you need for each piece and then the store owner will tack on their commission they need to make to the price shown.

Do you have a web page designed? I have gotten orders from people viewing my work on my site. The commission work I do is usually by word of mouth after a show or friends of family or friends. I always tell them I retain the copyright on any piece. I always have the finished piece scanned as I mentioned above before delivering the piece to the customer.

After you have pieces scanned, the person can print out a portfolio (small thumbnail prints like about 2 inches each or so, of all your work on one or two large sheets of paper so if there is an art show you would like to apply to show your work in, you can present your portfolio rather than carry a lot of your originals or prints to be looked at to see if you are accepted to show your work. Art Shows aren't mandatory for an artist but it sure helps in getting your name out there to the public and the more your name is known, the better your art will sell, generally.

Once your pieces are scanned, you can also go to lulu.com and self-publish books of your works which can also be a great way to show your work on a smaller scale and also local book stores might agree to sell some of those for you with their commission attached also.

Well, I got carried away as usual. A few more things, always spray your pastels and pencil drawings with a sealer before having them scanned. Also, always spray your prints with a sealer. If you view the art thread that Clough suggested, you will see an array of different mediums being used. I am in awe every time I view this thread. I have posted some of my work there but not sure what page to direct you to. I have posted pencil drawings but also some crafts. If you have time, you won't want to miss a page. The artists there just WOW me every time I view their work. I could be easily intimidated by their talent but I just continue on doing the best I can and allow them, with their sweet spirits and gracious gifts of friendship, to encourage me in my art and appreciate them so much. I hope I can be an encourager also.
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Mar 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I would love to become a professional artist, don't care much about selling work, but just getting it out there you know? I have realized I am pretty profficient in portraits, I have some others of other people I should post up.

But I don't know what to do with that, maybe put in an add that I do portraits or what? I enjoy so much when I draw someone's portrait and they are just "wow" and so happy with it. It's a great feeling, and compliment.

I would Love to be able to do that on a more professional level. I am actually going to check out that deviantart, and other sites. Any tips on how to get started are appreciated :)

(oh and I only work in pencil, being partly color blind makes it difficult to color lol, and black/white/grey just looks so much more elegant imo)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 11:59 AM
    This is another site like deviant that you can post your art on but I don't know if you can make any money on it there or not.

Shadowness - Portfolio Community
    drawUSAdotcom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 07:13 AM
    I have been drawing for a living for over 35 years. My website is drawUSA.com. I work as an entertainer for exhibitors at trade shows, and I am on the college circuit. I entertain by drawing cartoons of people. I average 30 to 60 drawings per hour. I absolutely love what I have been blessed to do. For years I took for granted that I have a God given talent. I have reached a stage in my life where I charge $2000 per day to do what I love. I am starting to think of retirement, and how I can pass on what I have learned in 35 plus years. I am looking at creating a series of videos to be available on my website. I would like to try to describe in detail how I actually do what I do, I think it is important to pass on how I got in to this business, how I market, sell, and what I do on a day to day basis. Sorry, I got carried away, and strayed from answering your question. My answer is yes. I haven't seen your work, but, I think almost anyone can earn money with their art if they really apply a lot of effort. I met a man at a festival in Georgia that created beautiful stipple art, which is made up of very detailed dots. His work was unbelievable. I was introduced to him, and he stuck out his FOOT to shake my hand. He had no arms, and did his drawings with his FEET. I am sure he worked for years to get good enough to sell his work, but, I think he makes a decent living. Be bold. Ask people if they would buy your work. Risk rejection. If you don't believe in you, no one else will. You may be good, but you must apply yourself. Take lessons. Go to college. Get a degree in art. Study, and throw yourself in to your work.
    Guineapiglover Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
    I want to make money our family has low enough income anyway. I have lots of drawings that look realistic and I'm good at drawing animals
    here's a few of my drawings
    http://www.sumopaint.com/image/?id=1865338
    http://www.sumopaint.com/image/?id=1865339
    http://www.sumopaint.com/image/?id=1866080
    http://www.sumopaint.com/image/?id=1760495
    http://www.sumopaint.com/image/?id=1829059
    I did the last 3 online and the last 2 on paper
    but I'm only in elementary

Mar 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
    Fist 2 I mean

Mar 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
    *first*
    artamania Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 12:09 AM
    Yo, I'm krissy,11. I hate school and want to go private.im amazing at art and I want to sell my pictures. Do you think I would get a enough money to go to aprivate school? Help me how I can get money...
    w3od Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 07:30 PM
    I live in UAE and I adore drawing like Cartoon stuff or nature could this things get me any money...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make money on Runescape [ 28 Answers ]

Hey guys, if you wanted to find ways to get money on RS, I got some. 1. you add a person named "Logs Wc Co" on your friends list. When he goes on, ask him for a woodcutting job. He will ask you to get as many NORMAL logs as you can. Give it to him in increments of 500 logs or 1K logs. Yes, he...

How to make money [ 1 Answers ]

How can I/a 12 year old, make money? Don't say alowece.

How can I make money using my computer? [ 2 Answers ]

Im always seeing these commercials about working at home using your computer. There are so many of them that I have to believe its just another scam. I don't want to be a billionaire, I just want to make as much money as I would at a normal job. Im not really good with computers, but I can learn!...

View more questions Search