Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mggallegos13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Does first year always mean Dual Status
    I do taxes for a lot of noncitizens working in the US who are here on H1B visas. I understand that if they don't meet the substantial presence test the first year they are here, that they can file as dual status. What if they do meet the substantial presence test the first year they are here? For example, a software engineer (single) comes to the US and arrives in Seattle, Washington on March 1, 2007. He is still in the US. Can he file only a 1040 listing world-wide income or does he have to file dual-status (NR for Jan/Feb and 1040 for Mar-Dec). I have read the IRS information on this and it appears that the first year you must file dual-status (unless you are married and both elect to file as residents). I'm hoping I'm wrong as I have a lot of clients who are insisting on filing only as a resident if they are present in the US 183 days of the current calendar year. The big difference, of course, is that you get the standard deduction.
    Thank you for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
    If they arrived on or before 1 July, they have met the Substantial Presence Test. They MUST file dual-status unless they are married, in which case they can file jointly and both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for the entire year.

If they arrived on or after 2 July, filing dual-status is an OPTION, not a requirement. Most of the time, filing dual-status offers NO tax advantages, so it is simpler for them to just file as a non-resident alien.

If they arrived
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
    It is remarkable that you prepare tax returns for a lot of people with these circumstances and yet you don't know the rules. If you do not have the knowledge to prepare the tax returns, you should refer them to someone who has the knowledge.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
    If you (mggallegos13) entered the U.S. before July 1, then you are a dual status. You can only file Dual status tax return if you are single. You can choose to file joint return as residents if you are married.

Yes, on dual status tax return you don't get standard deduction. You only get itemized deductions. For your resident period you get all other adjustment deductions that are available to the residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B and H4, first year choice, dual-status [ 4 Answers ]

First, let me explain my situation: I am an Spanish citizen and came to US on 27st July 2007 on H1B Visa with my husband (in H4 visa). After that I got my SSN. Yet we have not applied for the ITIN of my husband and he is not eligible for SSN. We do not have Green Card and do not satisfy the...

Explanation of the dual status and first year choice [ 17 Answers ]

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about the situation regarding residency, non-residency, dual status and first year choice. I would like to address this situation. Below I have outlined the facts AND the sources of support. 1. Residency status There are two tests: the green...

Do I have to be Dual Status Alien to use First Year Choice? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Do I have to be Dual Status Alien to use First Year Choice? I am Non-Residential Alien and I want to use First Year Choide? Is is Wrong. Regards, Sudarshan BAjaj

Dual Status or First Year Choice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from Jan 2006 - March 2006, then OPT from March 2006 - Sep 2006. Started working on OPT in Apr 2006 and got my H1 from Oct 2006. I got married in Dec 2006, but my wife joined me in USA on Jan 2007 from India. She had her H1 stamped in India in Nov 2006, and her I94 is dated...

Final year - Dual status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi 2005 was the final year in USA for me. I meet the criteria for substantial presence and per pub 519 I am dual status alien. I am from Syria, and there is no treaty with USA. I am filing form 1040 as a resident, I am also required to do a from 1040NR for the period I was not a resident in USA....

View more questions Search