Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
    2000 Silverado - 4x4 inop
    2000 Silverado 1500 keeps showing Service 4WD light... we replaced the switch in the dash, the encoder motor on the transfer case, the actuator, the module behind the switch, checked the ground wires, traced all of the wiring... nothing's worked! :mad:

Occasionally, when you switch the key on and off, the lights on the switch that indicate what gear the transfer case is in will flash but go out immediately... most times they won't light up at all.

Any suggestions?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Are you getting a code, B2725?
    There is a bulletin, # 02-04-21-004, that addresses that concern.
    The condition may be due to an intermittent fault in the transfer case shift control switch. Did you use PN 15709327 as the replacement? If so, the next step is to rule out everything that isn't the control module.
    Close visual inspection of all connectors, from the switch all the way to the motor, is crucial, making certain there is no water intrusion or other contaminants. Pin fit in each connector would be another test. Verify total circuit continuity.
    The next step would be to diagnose the IPC internally for logic gate fault. It sounds like you've ruled out the common items.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
    We haven't gotten any codes whatsoever. We actually just got the selector switch warrantied, used the GM part both times. We did check all the connectors because we've seen melted connectors plenty of times; it seems so ssimple and stupid but that's all it takes these days. We made sure there's power and ground circulating through all the switches.

We're really leaning towards the transfer case shift motor, which GM refers to as the encoder motor... we've put in 2 rebuilt aftermarket motors already but each time we pull them out and run power to them, they barely move. We're hesitant to buy a GM motor because once we plug it in, it's ours whether it fixed the problem or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire wall oven lower element inop [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire wall oven mod # FEB30SABA and the lower heating element is not heating at all. I replaced the element and still no heat. I pulled the feed wires into the oven and checked for voltage with the oven on. No voltage. What next? Thanks

Blower Fan - Central Air - Bryant - INOP [ 4 Answers ]

Sir/Ma'am, My townhouse uses a Bryant central a/c/gas furnace. The outdoor evaporator fan and compressor work. The indoor blower fan when set to on will begin with a hum -- much like a stuck motor might sound, then time out and shut off. This started with my wife's attempt to start the machine a...

Home Heat pump Inop [ 1 Answers ]

My home heat pump compressor stop spinning.  The pump is controlled for air conditioning and heat from a central thermostat in the house.  The fan works OK and you can hear a click sound at the heat pump when the thermostat is turned on.  The house and system circuit breakers (fuses) are on. ...

View more questions Search