Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frizz1862 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Who can claim their child?
    Can two parents who haven't been married claim the same child on two separate tax forms?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
    No. Only one person can claim the child as a dependent - it should be the parent with whom the child lived the majority of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim child tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in US from June 2007 on L1 visa. My wife and kid came to US on Oct 2007 on L2 visa as my dependents. So, by the number of days present in US, I'm a resident and they are not. I'm filing tax returns jointly with my wife now. Can I claim my wife and kid as my dependent and also can I claim child...

How To Claim Payment To Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am self employed, owning my own business. I don't have any employees, however I paid my daughter $550 through-out the year to clean my office, etc... Can I claim this? If so, what would I enter it under (possibly misc expenses?) I tried to enter it into the tax software and it said I had to...

Who can and can not claim a child [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his girlfriend live together and they have an infant child but her father has medicad on the baby because he is not working but they live in my home. But because the grandfather has the medicad my son was told that neither he or myself can not claim the baby or the mother. My son...

Can I claim Child tax credit? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam: I am H1b visa holder since 2004 and before that I was J1 visa(since 1/1/2001).I am from China. My son is J2 visa with my wife who is a student here (F1,my wife and son entered US at 7/1/2001 as J1 and changed to F1 in 91/2002). So if we file our 2006 federal tax jointly with my...

Claim my daughter - child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Want To Carry My Daughter On My Income Tax Return,I Pay Child Support And Is And Allways Current. How Do I Find Out Who Is Carrying Her On Their Taxes? Is There A Website I Can Go To And Check?

View more questions Search