Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fitegrl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quit Claim
    Here's my question - what are the pros/cons of a quit claim or interspousal transfer. My husband and I are separating and the only item we are together on is the house. I am staying in house he is moving out of state. Friends have suggested he transfer the house to me (which he stated he will). What does this mean legally for me? His name is still going to be on the loan. Do I need to have a legal separation?

fitegrl
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
    You are separating, but not divorcing? If he is willing to quit claim the property to you, I would accept the quit claim. The upside is you will own the property 100%; you may not want to record the deed because, the downside may be that your mortgage may include a 'due on sale' clause, at which time the balance of the loan must be paid off. You can record the deed later.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 29, 2008, 05:56 PM
    His name will still be on the financing and it will appear on his credit report that the money is owed. If you fail to make a payment, it will show on his credit as well as yours. If you loose track of him, the quit claim will be important if you want to sell the house. The title company will not have to find him to sign for the sale. I would go for the quit claim deed. Put it is a very safe place.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:50 PM
    It means that you will own the house completely he will not have a legal claim to it, It does mean he will still owe the loan company for the property if you don't pay.

What you need if you are separating, is a divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

In settlement proceedings with my x-wife, I agreed to sign a quit claim deed, leaving the marital home to her. In mediation she agreed to accept the debts and emcumbrances on the home. The divorce decree states that the quit claim deed was to be placed with my attorney until she obtained a loan...

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Quit claim [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home together 4 months after we were married, but in order to get a better interest rate for the loan, and the title to go through I was asked to sign a quit claim document. Does this mean I have no interest in the home now that we are divorcing?

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

View more questions Search