Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peentch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Lancer A/T shifting issue
    Hello,

I have a 2nd hand Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '96 A/T car. Acquired it on 2002, everything seemed fine until this problem started several months ago.

I'm driving an automatic transmission car. This problem sporatically happens while driving around 45-70 kph (28-43 mph?), my gear downshifts while I'm gradually stepping on the gas pedal. Instead of changing to a higher gear and accelerating faster, the transmission downshifts in a sudden resulting to engine braking and it causes my car to dramatically reduce the speed. I'm only using the "Drive" or "D" shift and it happens even on a non-steep or leveled road. The "overdrive" switch is always ON as usual and when this happens in a sudden, my RPM rises very high and looks like the transmission switched to a lower gear instead of progressing to the higher one. It never happened to me before as I have said.

I've noticed often times this happens after refilling gasoline then driving my car. And its very dangerous as it makes my car stop suddenly while speeding up in a highway and makes all of us inside jerk forward. Luckily there's no vehicle tailgating me on that particular scenario.

I badly need your advices. Thanks in advance.. :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 01:55 PM
    I believe that converts to the Galant here in the US?
    For that model, the manufacturer has an updated Transmission Control Module for a harsh shift concern.
    You would be doing yourself a favor to let a Mitsu dealer check to see if your car needs that update.
    peentch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 07:59 AM
    My Lancer has 1600 cc engine 4 cylinder 16-valve..
    I am thinking of a conservative step first by replacing my transmission fluid and fuel filter... hope this would fix my issue so that I would avoid spending a larger amount of money.. any more suggestion or comments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tv commercial song title for the 2008 mitsubishi lancer evolution [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know the song title and artist from the TV commercial for the mitsubishi lancer evolution ? I think the lyric says " you got what I want you are what I need" ?

Mitsubishi Lancer 1998 low mileage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer 1998 1.3 75HP car and recently it started getting very low mileage. When I went to a technical examination of the car where they connected it to the exhaust gases tester, they noticed that the O2 level was very high. Spark plugs have been changed recently. It started...

Mitsubishi lancer [ 3 Answers ]

My lancer 1991 does not start, I changed the battery and the starter but the problem remains Any suggestion?

Shifting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse transmission. All of a sudden as u are driving, it jerks and drops you to low gear. It was already been rebuilt about 11 months ago, but now I am back at square 1. Does anyone know what the problem could be or do I just need to burn it? Also,...

View more questions Search