Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbalr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
    !~* Live in NYC, work in NJ. Which Tax forms needed? *~!
    I currently live in NYC, but work in New Jersey. I received my bonus check last year which was taxed based on NY taxes. However, because they relocated my entire department to New Jersey, all my proceeding paychecks have been based off NJ taxes. Which tax forms do I need to file?

I've heard that I need to file 1. Federal 2. NJ State 3. NY state 4. NYC tax forms. Can someone please confirm. Is the NYC tax form a completely separate tax form or can I file that with the NY state tax form?

Thank you!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
    You are on the right track. Do the NJ tax form (NJ-1040NR) before doing your NY State/NYC resident taxes. That way NY gives you a credit for taxes you owe to NJ (so you don't get double taxed). The NY City resident tax is actually part of the NY State form, so no need to file anything separate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in NYC and work in NJ [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work in NJ but live in NYC... I know I have to pay both state taxes but I'm not sure if I was mis-informed when I took this job in NJ... I was told that I would get back most of the NJ State taxes that I pay during the year. However, I just got my 2007 taxes done yesterday and I am only...

Live in NYC, work in DC [ 1 Answers ]

I just took a job in DC. During the week I stay with friends in MD and work in DC then travel home to my apt in NYC on the weekends. For which state(s) do I file taxes? Thanks!

Live in NYC work in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NYC and work in NJ. My gross wages were only 8400$ and I am married. I paid taxes to NJ. I need to know who do I have to file to , meaning 1.Federal 2.NJ and 3.NY ? And if so because I earned so little I understand I will receive most if not all of the taxes I paid back. But...

Work in NJ live in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I work in NJ but live in NYC. I am confused over what forms I need to fill out. I believe I have made an error in that I have filed NJ state tax using the over the phone service. Now I am told that I should have filed as a nonresident in NJ which would have gotten me all of my NJ withheld tax...

View more questions Search