Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Feb 29, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Kitchen Cabinets
    Anything inside our home which relates to color or design or fashion is 99% left up to my wife. I don't object because I usually don't care and don't keep up with styles or color schemes, etc. etc.

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen by enlarging it by 110 sq ft. The allows room for a new and improved island, a larger cook top, and much more counter space. When we began the planning, the "big box" designer techs were eager to help us plan to match our existing kitchen cabinets (10 year old Maple) so that EVERYTHING would not have to be replaced by new cabinets.

Now that the construction phase is done and all my tools are back in the shop, we're out there actually shopping for cabinets to match what we already have. Now the fun begins for my wife. We need 2 new Lazy Susans, a new built-in Oven/Micro cabinet, a new cook top cabinet, and a new under-sink cabinet. A few new other upper cabinets and a few spacer cabinets will finish the job.

Truth Time: We now understand that this "matching" cannot be done successfully and accepted by somebody who cares about color and shades and tints and overall design (somebody like my wife). One of the kitchen design people was honest enough to tell us that if they told shoppers outright at the ONSET of their remodel jobs that they would eventually need to scrap ALL their existing cabinets ( re-use in garage, basement, workshop ) and buy everything new in order to match - they would lose a lot of business. They are schooled this way. They allow the truth to reveal itself toward the end of the process. Once the remodel past the no-return mark, the truth about matching becomes obvious. Age discolors, location discolors, and each new lot is slightly different.

No doubt this information is common sense to most everybody else out there. Especially to someone who is in the business of remodeling or kitchen design. But, just in case there's somebody out there like us who only travels down this road a couple of times in their lives and who plans to match any wood shades other than black or white - BEWARE. You may have to exchange your dream counter top for a less expensive option in order to stay within your budget.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Not that I don't understand and appreciate you frustration, but think about it like this.

Now you have new cabinets for your shop or garage,
    You don't have to go on another cruise,
    And what can the wife say when you bring home that new Powermatic table saw.:D :D
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Hk:
    You want a Sawstop. SawStop.

Up close it's one incredible machine. It won't cut hot dogs or fingers UNLESS you defeat it's protection. You have to defeat the protection when cutting wet wood. Watch the video. I saw one up close and personal. Very impressive.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 10:18 PM
    It's the same when making a knitted or crocheted scarf. Buy all the yarn at once because you cannot later buy additional yarn and match colors; the dyelot will be different.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
    KISS
    Didn't read you post completely, (20 lashes) Didn't know there was a way to turn off protection. I'll have to look at it more closely.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 10:46 PM
    You can put the wood against the blade with the saw off to determine if you need to defeat the protection.

Mar 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
    HK - Ha! Good answer. Always look for the silver lining, right? I'm just happy she will have a great time shopping for her new kitchen. When she's happy... (you know the rest).;)

Mar 1, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Wondergirl -

I'm going to take your word for the yarn thingy. But your point is well taken. Thanks for the feedback.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning kitchen cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

In your opinion, what is a good degreaser for wood cabinets? It can be natural or chemical. Thanks in advance.

Kitchen cabinets [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had experinece with THERMOFOIL kitchen cabinets? I saw some I like but I heard they could turn yellow over time if exposed to heat.

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 year old cherry kitchen cabinets are looking a little dull. The lip of the raised panel is looking grey, rather than the rich cherry color. I don't need to do a major refinishing job and I don't want to damage the wood, but would like to know if I should use fine steel wool , fine sandpaper...

Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

The cabinets in my rental apartment are dark brown from the 1970's looks like a satin finish probably some kind of varnish. The cabinets are in good condition with no peeling. I want to paint them white & avoid a lot of work like stripping or heavy sanding. What kind of primer & paint I should use...

Installing Kitchen Cabinets [ 5 Answers ]

I noticed that I can see the silver and black screws in the back of my white kitchen cabinets which is very unsightly. Should I be able to see them? Is this standard? The company said it is because the cabinets are framelees. I just know that it makes the $4000 cabinets look cheap. Your...

View more questions Search