Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eric34 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Hardi board over Concrete?
    I am just starting to install the Hardie board on my new house and I have about10 sqft on the bottom that is concrete. I know how to install it on concrete but is it a good idea??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
    You usually hang your first and lowest board so the nailing area still catches the lumber and hangs down over the seam between the concrete and rim joist.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 28, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Don't install it on the concrete. Do as ballengerb1 says. Less time, Less effort and better looking product.
    Mike

Feb 29, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Well it's on the bottom corner of side of the house. I installed treated 2x4's in the foundation to help me with this but want to now if bad things will happen(mosture behind the siding. There will be a set of stairs going up the slope so it will look good.

Feb 29, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Maybe I am picturing this wrong but doesn't the pt 2x4 cause the siding to bow out at the bottom compared to the surface of the rest of the boards? When you mix Hardieboard and concrete there isn't much moisture can do to screw things up but try to answer my question the best that you can.

Mar 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Sorry for not telling the whole story.. I put treated 2x4's in the concrete, screwed them to the inside of the forms so when you take the forms of there is wood flush with the concrete. This is normal, acoording to my carpenter.. I was just wondering if a person could get in trouble by going over concrete. It was poured last may but still has moisture to come out I'm sure.

Mar 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
    You should be OK with what you have done. Neither concrete of Hardie plank will be compromised by a little moisture.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1, should not have an issue. I would however, for my own take one simple step. Hardi plank, primed or pre-finished doesn't come with any finish on the back. I would throw a coal of exterior primer or paint on the back of the planks coming in direct contact with the cement walls. This will allow you to sleep better at night.
    Mike

Mar 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
    I was going to throw some tar paper in between them... Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Concrete Board Needs Leveler. [ 2 Answers ]

It's my maiden voyage on placing concrete board and subsequent ceramic tile installation. I have unfortunately failed to notice an unlevel corner in the bathroom where I'm working. Now my last piece of concrete board--in a small toilet alcove -- is mortared down and slanting down, with a slight...

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

Staining hardi board siding [ 1 Answers ]

I have hardi board lap siding that is pre primed and I want to know if it will take semi tranparent stain. If I have to go to a solid color stain or a house paint which will hold up better or even absorb into the siding. Thanks

Pour concrete over hardi plank siding? [ 6 Answers ]

We are planning on replacing our 3 ft high deck with a concrete patio about 12" thick and 30 ft wide. If we had to do it we will have to pour concrete over the hardi plank siding. Talked to a couple of concrete contractors they said they will apply metal flashing and pour concrete over the siding...

View more questions Search