Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b8ngo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
    No signal on startup?
    Hi, my problem is this:
    When I turn on my computer, everything seems normal for a sec or two, but when the display is supposed to react and go from hypernation into active, it doesn't.
    I have searched the threads to look for a solution, but as I get no signal, I can't even go to the BIOS or anything.

I am afraid my videocard might be toast, but it seems weird as it happened in between startups, and I have had no downtime on that part before.

My computer is a 2000+ AMD-something, with an nvidia FX 5200 installed from last year (still on warranty tho).

I have had a problem with temperature, as it is is hot as hell. Around 75 degrees Celsius is "normal". However, this has been the way forever, and I have had no problem, not even in the summer (other than the occasional BSOD when it hits 90 C).

Anything would help, thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2006, 07:24 AM
    If you are getting no response at all from the monitor, then its either the video adapter or the monitor. Can you test the monitor on another system? Can you use a montior you know is working on the problem system?

That should help you determine if it's the monitor or the video adapter.

Jan 29, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Then it's the adaptor... but how do I fix that? Or even, how do I test it? I figured out its neither the monitor nor the video card, as they both work on a different system.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Umm the videocard IS the adpater. So if the monitor and video card work on another system, then the problem may be the port on the motherboard you are plugging it into. If the Video card is an AGP, then you will likely need to change the motherboard. Since most only have one AGP slot. Otherwise you might try moving the board into a different slot.

Jan 29, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Urgh, that's tough. I'll try another videocard on my system, and then if all else fails, dump it and get an all new one, save the videocard.
    But thanks for the advise, I felt really freakin lost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Startup and Shutdown [ 10 Answers ]

Is there anyway I can not logon at the windows screen when I startup? I find it really troublesome. Just on the computer and I want it to bring me to my windows so my program can all start running rather than having to wait at the logon screen and wait for me to press OK... It was says select user...

Startup.. [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Yes guys need help... I can't stop a folder from opening when the windows startup... but this folder isn't like this before... I wonder why...

Startup what's going on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Why does my computer tell me setup is updating configuration files every time I start up regardless and takes about 2mins to get past this before loading windows, I am using win98se. :confused:

Startup [ 5 Answers ]

It Takes 3 Minutes For My Computer To Start Up. I Believe It's Because I Have Too Many Start-ups In The Bottom Right Of My Screen. How Do I Know Which Of These I Can Remove,and How Do I Remove Them??

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search