Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcason Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Can my mom claim MY tuition?
    My mom recently asked me to get her my receipts from last quarter so she could deduct it in taxes. She doesn't claim me and its her money.But the tuition was paid by check from an account in my name. She also makes more than $80,000 a year. So my question is can she actually deduct this from her taxes and not get into trouble with the IRS?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
    The account is in your name but did your mom put the money into the account?

In other words, who's paying for college, you or your mother. If it's mom, than she has the right to get the tax deduction.
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Feb 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
    If she's claiming you, sure she can.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pasiria
    If she's claiming you, sure she can.

The OP said her mother does NOT claim her and if that is correct, no, she cannot claim OP's tuition as it would be a deduction of the OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

1040NR - can I claim tuition? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in the US as an F1 student since May 2002. I have recently started Law school in MD and I paid (out of pocket) my tuition for the fall semester. I am wondering if I can use this tuition to offset my taxes owed to fed/state. I see there is a...

Can I claim mom as a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My is here with me for the past six months (came to US in 1st week of Oct 2006). She does not have a SSN. Can I claim my mother as dependent for 2006 taxes. If not, what are the conditions for a person to claim his/her mother/father as dependent during tax filing. Appreciate a prompt...

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

View more questions Search