Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Yes, I agree. Since his diagnosis, it was recommended that he receive counseling to aid his ADHD behaviors. I must admit that my daughter has failed to do this, and I also feel the doctors and schools failed to address this as well. As with all children, they need us to be on top of their needs, and sometimes we neglect that. Without an instruction manual we do our best, sometimes that not enough. For now we are looking into what is the best thing to do, and then doing it. We simply want the school to acknowledge that he does have ADHD that it substantially affects his learning, and not ignore it
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Mar 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Not all schools have a counselor. Most families have to go outside of school to get the help. My school is lucky to have a counselor in the school. I attend meetings, IEP meetings, teacher conferences, I sit in classes and do behavior modification, behavior plans with the teacher, and for some of my ADHD kids, I sit in class and help them to use the tools to stay on task, etc. So not having one at school means you have to be an advocate even more so. Have him re-evaluated by a psych. And he SHOULD have the teachers fill out a form to help him make the diagnosis, and med decisions as well. Seek a counselor at the same time. They can work together on this. Keep up the work, it will pay off!
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Yelo, we have counselors, however they do not fulfill the duties you have described. I don't think they do what they have been trained to do in our schools. I think they assist the administration identify and categorize students, without providing the necessary support to students, like the ones you have mentioned. I have never seen that, and I have been in this district for 14 years. Counselors are test implementors, and partial whole group social skills teachers, but rarely one-on-one counseling, scheduled for any consistent ongoing time. My grandson is getting the shaft, and to be honest I have seen this so many times, but never with one of my own, and I suppose it is a reminder to me to treat all children as you would have your own be treated.
    Teachers have filled out forms, but I am an experienced eye. I know where they have skirted duties, or added dates, and signatures... it really makes me upset to know that this has happened with my grandson.

One of the reasons family members must involve others in this process is because we become very emotional, and do not know when to "give" and when to "go." My grandson has the benefit of having a grandmother who has worked for the "restaurant" and knows how things are prepared, most parents do not and so... they do not always to ask or demand that certain policies, rules, or guidelines be followed. I just want fair procedures, mistakes are allowed, however mistakes must be acknowledged, then addressed.
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Mar 17, 2008, 09:46 PM
    I am lucky in the fact that I am employed by an outside agency, contracted into one school. So I actually am able to do what I need to do as an actual therapist without as much school politics entering my job duties. I would recommend you seek counseling from an outside agency, soon... school psychologists in my area are really testing and educational oriented. Our Psychologist is the same... I get therapy referrals from him all the time. :)

Keep up your efforts! Again, when the testing comes back, let us know what was said!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an adult get a 504 plan? [ 3 Answers ]

Can an adult get a 504 plan? A teacher friend of mind has high blood pressure which has proven to be drug resistant. Can she get a 504 plan requiring that she not be given a certain non-teaching duty that she presently has. This is a stressful duty that her doctor does not want her to continue...

Can a 504 be stripped without parent consent? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your help My son has been on a 504 for 6 years. At this point, just entering the high school, he has very minimal accommodations. I went to meeet with the new principal only to describe my son so that when they were putting together the teachers they would have the description of his...

504, what are the new criterion? [ 1 Answers ]

I know to be qualified for 504 accommodations, you must have an academic deficiency. Is this the only thing needed to qualify? Thanks

504 laws [ 1 Answers ]

Once covered under a 504 are you always protected under the 504 or do you lose all protection if you no longer receive accommodations?

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search