Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2008, 03:22 PM
    How does one start to write a screenplay?
    I have a ton of idea's. But don't know where to start on the subject.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 02:38 AM
    A screenplay is a play that is intended to be made into a movie. It would normally include descriptions of the scenes as well as some directions for how the camera is to be placed and/or operated. Have you written any plays? What would you like to write a screenplay about? Knowing the answers to those two questions would help us in giving you further advice.

Mar 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
    I have written a book. But did not know how to make it into a screenplay. The book is about a quest and journey to find family.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 01:25 AM
    If it is to be a screenplay, then within your story, you would put directions for things that would happen if it were to be made into a movie. Things like, directions for lighting, placement of cameras, directions for where the actors and actors will be standing or moving, sound effects and the music that might be used as underscore and/or between the scenes, the types of set that will be used, etc. Basically, it is about making things enjoyable for people as an audience to watch. Every element used will need to have some direction as to how it will be used and how it will be placed in a scene.

I like your subject already! Would you provide a little more information about the story? Such as where it takes place, what person or people is or are making the quest, the period in history when it is taking place... Knowing those things would also help us in giving you some direction here as to how to make it into a screenplay.

Mar 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
    My story is about a child's death. Due to sealed adoption records. The adoptive parents were told that their child's illness was biological in nature and that due to the inability to know about what ran within his DNA link, they were not able to diagnose the illness until symptoms arose. Whereby, once the symptoms manifested itself it was too late for cure. And only pallative treatment could be done. Once the adoption records were petitioned to be opened by the court, and contact made to the biological parents/relatives, it took far too long to help their child. All four parents that never intended to not give full disclosure and intent to help in case of illness. As far as where, I was just going to pick one of the 47 states that now have closed records. Time from the child's birth to death. And anywhere in between. The story would be based upon the adoptive parents struggling to save their child and the biologial parents never knowing that in case of an emergency, their contact information would not be disclosed and or consented to due to unjustified laws that they themselves never agreed. Ending with all four parents at a gravesite, weeping.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Here's a helpful web site. Read all of it, or click on the sections that answer your questions.

Screenwriting.info: How to Write a Screenplay
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
    You know, if you were to post some details and concerns on this site about what to do to make your book into a screenplay, we could give you some ideas as to how to put the things into it for it to be a screenplay. That way, information could stay on this site. That would be helpful for you and also for others who might have a similar question to yours. What do you think?

Mar 16, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Thanks Clough, I appreciate it. But the screenplay link really helped and I am busy brainstorming to complete it. My sister is a producer, and if I can get my ideas from book to screenplay, she may take it on! It will speak her language, per se. I am the writer in the family, she is the producer. The other two are the work force, anchor and steer.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelSoNumbZombie
    the screenplay link really helped and I am busy brainstorming to complete it.
    Will I get a percentage for posting such a great link?

Mar 18, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Your funny, Wondergirl! I will be sure to ask my sister if she could find a part in the movie! Hehe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I know not what to write here [ 1 Answers ]

I guess for this to work well you will need a short history, child of a divorce angry-protective to not so angry-need to help to not angry-with a need to comfort OK that is out of the way. Now on to the question I listen and I am good at it, how do you stop without offending the people who already...

I want to write! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want to write a story but whenever I do, I can't think of a good ending and normally leave it halfway through. I also find it hard to think of ideas for a good story. Any ideas?! :confused:

Screenplay - Seizing property [ 2 Answers ]

I need some guidance on this for my screenplay. Thanks for reading and if anyone can help, great. Here's the situation: My character, a police detective, believes that an antiques dealer is trafficking in stolen property. He is able to confirm that this is in fact the case. There are some...

Screenplay: Police Ask for ID [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a screenplay. Here's the situation, and the legal question(s) that arise from it. I have a character who is suspected of art theft. He has not been charged. It turns out he is out of town. A police detective, who has come to question him questions a neighbor who lives in the same...

View more questions Search