Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerseywireman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Mechanic Liens and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
    Does anyone know if a mechanics lien is discharged in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy or does it make the lien holder a securred creditor? We are in NJ but I don't know if location has anything to do with it when a national retailer is involved.

Difficult question but I need to know a proper answer not a wild guess.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Lien holder
    A mechanics lien if executed and attached properly puts a lien on your propery. This would secure the debt by the property.

This is why the person does a lien, so they are not considered a non secured debt just for this protection.

Jan 27, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Jerweywireman
    Thanks for that Fr Chuck and I'm pretty certain you're right but the professionals I've checked with don't seem to know how to answer the question. I keep getting the feeling that I am educating the Lawyers rather that the other way around. Real problem it that I hold the lien against national retailer and my lien was in place at the time of their filing. Needless to say it's for a considerable amount of money that I can't afford to lose so if you know anyone that knows the answer I'd certainly like to hear it.

Right now I don't have the money to waste on a Lawyer that doesn't know the answers and I certainly can't pay to further his education.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Para legal
    I used to fill out ( OK you only type in basic data into a file and the computer spits out all the filings paper) as a para legal some years ago. We could not of course give legal advice. At that time that is how we filed all of the mechanic liens.

Now I know that a lot of laws changed the last couple of years, but from my understanding it has been more for the protection of the lender not the borrower.

Jan 27, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Jerseywireman
    It's been a number of years since Business Law in College but as I remember it what you're saying is correct. I know the legal system has left a lot to be desired lately but I can't believe that the law allows for a borrower to completely hide behind the defense of Bankruptcy. Since Chapter 11 is reorginazation I believe I did the right thing in filing thr lien to protect my interests. I just wish I could find someone that knows the actual precedent for this. Maybe if you ask the "Big Guy" you can get the answer. He's listening to me but He's not saying much yet. Then he did send me you so maybe He's saying more than I understand! Anyone in your flock that might know the answers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naval aircraft mechanic cannot get his car started [ 81 Answers ]

So I bought a 1992 honda civic DX auto and after a week of buying it, it crapped out on me. It would crank, but would not fire up. Immediately I began troubleshooting. I checked for spark and there was none when I grounded the plugs against the frame several times while my friend cranked it. Next I...

Chapter 13 bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

May Have To Do A Chapetr 13 To Safe My House I Have Spoken To A Lawyer About All This But What Gets Me Is I Still Have To Pay My 1500.00 Morg Which I Just Can't Do And That's What Got Me Into This Mess In The First Place. We Have Been In This House 10 Years Now And Did A Refi 4 Years Ago.it...

Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Approximately how long does it take once you've filled out the bankruptcy forms does it take to file? Does it depend on the State you live in or the court schedule?

Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) Do it yourself? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, newbie here. Here's my 'story' and I have several questions... I am a single mom with a ton of debt. Thankfully, NONE of this is credit cards or the like. It is 80% medical bills, and the other 20% is unpaid utilities and bank fees from overdraft accounts. I have called several of...

View more questions Search