Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanbuskirk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Why can't we walk on the bottom of the oceans?
    If mankind can walk on the Moon (which we did 35 years ago), why can't we walk on the bottom of the oceans?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Maybe because they're way to deep?

It would be interesting to be able to see what lies at the bottom, but obviously it isn't a top priority. I mean, if they can put a man on the moon surely they can find a way for us to access something that is right here on earth. I don't have the answer though.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 28, 2008, 11:54 AM
    The waterpressure will crush just about anything. Someone has to invent something that can withstand all the water pressure. If you are a swimmer try swimmer down to the bottom of a 10 foot pool. When you get there you feel like something is hugging you. Tens that by miles and you get the picture.

I think its possible but we just need that invention. Get started. Just remember me when you get rich.
    Dr Dermie Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Well, we don't really need to. The engineering required to get to the sea bottom would be much more challenging than getting to the moon. I'm open minded about this and happy to be corrected but if you were to get to the sea floor in most cases, the pressure is immense, the visibility zero without lights and you'd get a limited return on your investment unless you'd found a wreck and wrer retrieveing the pre-nuclear steel or something. Most sea life is in the upper layers of the sea that receives solar radiation. Below that there isn't a huge amount, with the exception of the 'black smoker' colonies and the large mineral deposits that are just not commercially viable for exploitation yet. Also, most of the sea floor has been mapped using hyper accurate underwater surveys - thank you Cold War - along with radar mapping from space. It does beg the question though - more humans have been to the moon than to our sea floors!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Why is this thread opened up again? It's been since Feb since anyone posted and the OP hasn't been back since then. :(
    Dr Dermie Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Because the answers given were inadequate and lacking in detail. There was also no indication anywhere that the question was "closed." Is that OK with you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Walk in Shower [ 1 Answers ]

My walk in shower has been stopping up and we applied bleach and now it is getting stopped up faster and water is backing up in the Tub. What do I do?

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

Can I walk away? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, here is my story. I live in an apartment complex in Florida. I have put in various maintenance requests, but only about 1/2 of them they forward to maintenance. I recently had to call code enforcement to resolve one issue. This resulted in my landlord absolutely hating me, but the job...

Should I walk away? [ 213 Answers ]

hey guys I am new to this site so please bare with me =) I am 26 year old male who I would say am a good looking guy, I own my own house, I have a good job etc... I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good life and I have a lot to show for. Now 6 montn I fell deeply in love with an old...

Funky Oceans 12 song [ 2 Answers ]

Just asking, but what's the funky oceans 12 song? I heard it was by this french rapper but can't find it! Its like pretty funky, got a nice beat box beat, got like some cool synthed melody, pretty fast. Lotsa layers. About the part where you first see the francois guy. When they get the egg....

View more questions Search