Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickscapp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Form 843 and 8316 Employer Penalty
    I am a small business owner and one of my employees is an OPT student who is currently applying for HB-1 status. I was just made aware that for the past few months we have been taking Social Security and Medicare withholding for his pay. I understand now that this should not be the case. I made our payroll company aware of his status and from this point on the withholdings will not taken out. The payroll company will also refund all the SS and Medicare for 2008.

However for the pay periods in 2007 the payroll company claims that obtaining this refund would be a costly process. My initial reaction is refuse this employee a refund and tell him to file form 842 and 8316 to get a refund for the 2007 withholdings.

My questions is what kind of penalty is my company facing by refusing this employee his refund? Is the company obligated to refund? If we did from what I understand, we would cut a check for the total and in the end the company takes a loss and the government takes keep what should be in my employees pocket... doesn't make much sense for the company to take this loss, unless the is potentially ramifications to all this.

Any thoughts/advise would be helpful. I am trying to understand this from an the employer side as well as the employee.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 01:50 PM
    I am not really sure how to answer, because I have never looked at it from the company's point of view.

When your employee submits the Form 843 to request his refund, I suppose the IRS COULD come back to you and ask why you withheld these taxes. However, I cannot see them fining you for paying taxes you were NOT supposed to pay,

Remember that YOU matched what the employee paid, and his submission of Form 843 will NOT get you your money back. Hence, In my opinion, if you can get the money back, you should try to get the money back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 843 (F1- OPT) refund [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US in 2001 and worked on F1-visa (optional practical training) in 2004. But I did not file a tax return. I am filing 1040NR before the deadline in April this year. My question is I want to file form 843 to get my FICA taxes refunded as they were withheld. Is the statute of limitations...

Form 843 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to clarify a question about filing Form 843 for refund of medicare and social security taxes. I was a student on OPT from start of 2007 to Sep 30, 2007. From Oct 1st my H1b started. How can I compute the amount for refund? Will it be all right to look into the pay slips I got...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

Form 843 abatement explanation [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a business that went bad I have 4 quarters of 941 taxes that are unpaid. I spoke with the IRS and they said to pay the tax owed and file Form 843 with a request for abatement of penaties and interest. I am in the process of doing this but would like any insight, hints, information, etc on...

Last date to file Form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any last date to file Form 843(to claim Social and Medicare taxes that have been withheld while on OPT)? Thanks,

View more questions Search