Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Legal fees
    I wrote a check out to an attorney, who then said he did not accept checks. He said because it's a holiday "I will hold this check until tomorrow, bring cash, I'll give you back the check." I did that. I was in hurry to get to court and did not look at receipt till 2 days later. The receipt said I paid 175. But I paid 600. Why would this occur? I need to know before I pursue how to go about getting this corrected.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Was the original check for $600? Could have just been an oversite. Go back and get it corrected.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Yes, the original check was written for 600. I can't see how this is an oversight, though.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by darhe3425
    I wrote a check out to an attorney, who then said he did not accept checks. He said because it's a holiday "I will hold this check until tomorrow, bring cash, I'll give you back the check." I did that. I was in hurry to get to court and did not look at receipt till 2 days later. The receipt said I paid 175. but I paid 600. Why would this occur? I need to know before I pursue how to go about getting this corrected.

Ask the Attorney what happened - if he/she insists that you paid $175 then you'll have to argue the amount but it would appear that if you accepted a receipt for $175 after paying $600 (whether you read it or not) you are going to have some problems proving what you actually paid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2008, 07:43 AM
    While I agree with Judy, you do have two pieces of evidence (hopefully). You have the initial check, which I assume was made out for $600 and your withdrawal slip/receipt.

Feb 28, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Judy I have the original check that I wrote, and I have bank statement where I debited my account on the morning of to pay the check. I would think this is an error as why would an attorney deny the amount I paid. Why would a judge think I am coming to court after paying 600, then an additional 2500 to an attorney, then waste time coming to collect 425. Doesn't make sense as Judge Judy would say.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darhe3425
    Judy I have the original check that I wrote, and I have bank statement where I debited my account on the morning of to pay the check. I would think this is an error as why would an attorney deny the amount I paid. Why would a judge think I am coming to court after paying 600, then an additional 2500 to an attorney, then waste time coming to collect 425. Doesn't make sense as Judge Judy would say.

Again - ask the Attorney what happened and then, depending on what he/she said, decide what to do. I'm not arguing with you; I'm just saying you COULD have a problem with the burden of proof. "Why would I do this" and "This doesn't make sense" are not legal arguments - fascinating arguments but no legal basis.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 08:50 AM
    If the attorney does not satisfactorily give you the proper receipt for the $600 paid to him, then you may go to the local County Bar Association and talk to them as his conduct does not sound ethical at this point. There could be a reason behind why the receipt was wrong. If he is a criminal attorney, then he probably wanted the fee in cash versus a check seeing as you had court the next day. Regardless, he should have given you a receipt for the correct amount paid to him.

Mar 3, 2008, 12:42 AM
    I feel like a fool. This was a crazy time. I've never dealt with such a situation, and had several receipts that day. I was anxious, worried and upset. As it turns out he did not error I did. Sorry for trouble, and thanks for your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Workers comp legal fees [ 2 Answers ]

I recently won a substantial workers award and my lawyer got his much deserved 25 % for his services, can I use his portion of my settlement on my taxes as a legal expense ?

Retail Store Legal Fees [ 2 Answers ]

So I just turned 18 last month and today I decided to do something stupid and well something I thought I wouldn't get caught for. I went to h&M (toronto) and I was caught stealing 10 dollar earings from h&m by a secret shopper. I was taken in the office of the store and I was questioned but the...

Who should pay legal fees for Priests? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the church's stance on paying legal fees for Priests? For example, should donations intended for philanthropy be used to defend "offendors" who admit that they are guilty? Is it our duty to aid the rehabilitation of the clergy? If so, to what extent?

Being Evicted For Legal Fees [ 3 Answers ]

I was late on my rent 12 days and the landlord sent it to their attorneys. They told me I'd have to pay legal charges. I went in the night before I got paid to get the exact amount owed, because they would only take a money order in payment. They said a specific amount, which included $75...

View more questions Search