Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Compulsive picking
    How does one stop the compulsion to picking at their skin? I have scars all over from picking at the tiniest zit or bump on me. It becomes huge and takes forever to go away.

Anything aside from attending meetings and such. I don't think outing such an embarrassing thing would help me much.

Thanks for any and all help!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Put your hands and fingers to work on something else. Take up rug hooking or crocheting or knitting. That way, not only will your hands be busy, but you will end up with beautiful Christmas gifts. I'm hereby placing an order for a cute winter hat, in hmmmmmm light and cadet blue. And get good at making hats or shawls or scarves and start a cottage industry.

Your public library is full of knitting and crocheting pattern and idea books. Look at this web site to see a cottage industry started by one creative woman who sews with fabric and fleece --

Stocking Caps and Jester Hats for Women, Men and Big Kids by GottaHavaHat
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
    I have this problem... I have callouses all over my hand due to lifting weights and just overall being a man (yeah right).

I use a pumice stone to get rid of the rough edges of the callous so that I CAN'T pick it even if I could.

I used to carry a nail clipper with me just in case a small piece of skin stuck out. Instead of picking at it, I can just snip it. Possibility?
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Put your hands and fingers to work on something else. Take up rug hooking or crocheting or knitting. That way, not only will your hands be busy, but you will end up with beautiful Christmas gifts. I'm hereby placing an order for a cute winter hat, in hmmmmmm light and cadet blue. And get good at making hats or shawls or scarves and start a cottage industry.

Your public library is full of knitting and crocheting pattern and idea books. Look at this web site to see a cottage industry started by one creative woman who sews with fabric and fleece --

Stocking Caps and Jester Hats for Women, Men and Big Kids by GottaHavaHat
    I already do knit and crochet. I don't think it is just something to do with my hands.
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I have this problem...I have callouses all over my hand due to lifting weights and just overall being a man (yeah right).

I use a pumice stone to get rid of the rough edges of the callous so that I CAN'T pick it even if I could.

I used to carry a nail clipper with me just in case a small piece of skin stuck out. instead of picking at it, I can just snip it. possibility?

What?
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
    With me, it's just a small case of ocd. I don't like things that stick out... and I have to get rid of it
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I already do knit and crochet. I don't think it is just something to do with my hands.
    How do you pick when you're knitting and crocheting?
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Another magical ability granted by the AMHD gods.
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    with me, it's just a small case of ocd. I don't like things that stick out...and I have to get rid of it
    I think that might be the same there.
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:45 PM
    How do you pick when you're knitting and crocheting?
    I don't knit when I'm standing at work waiting for the doc to come out of a room, or sitting at a red light, or talking to someone...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Then find a substitute for those times. (I have a cousin who knits and crochets while standing at work, sitting at a red light, or talking to someone.)
    Vision Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:50 PM
    I don't crochet while standing at work because I would get fired, I don't do it at a red light because I don't want to get into and accident. I could do it while talking to people though. Although they might think that I was not paying attention.

I just want to throw this out there, this is in the addictions section for a reason. It's not just something that I do when I'm bored. I have a problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Well, then, you're right. You have to conquer the OCD. Have you thought about how you can do that?

But there is something supremely satisfying about pulling off dead skin in as large a sheet as possible. There was even a sound to it, a dry rustling. I used to do that when I peeled after a sunburn.
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Well, then, you're right. You have to conquer the OCD. Have you thought about how you can do that?

But there is something supremely satisfying about pulling off dead skin in as large a sheet as possible. There was even a sound to it, a dry rustling. I used to do that when I peeled after a sunburn.

OMG, how is that helpful... That makes it worse. Thanks.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Gross, huh.

Have you tried anything that worked, at least for a while?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:07 AM
    How about putting a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it when you begin to pick?
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:09 AM

I was definitely :eek: while I was reading that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:10 AM
    I'm thinking of writing horror fiction.

Any ideas for her, Sneeze, ol' buddy?
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:13 AM
    I'm thinking of writing horror fiction.

Any ideas for her, Sneeze, ol' buddy?
    I don't think you are taking this as seriously as it really is.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:16 AM
    Well, for me, it's mostly callouses that come up on my hand, so I just do everything I can to get rid of callouses so nothing instigates me to start picking.

I do notice, however, that I pick my skin when I'm stressed or bored.

I've tried the rubber band on the wrist method, and being me, I think about picking my skin, look at the rubber band, and think "Why hurt myself when I can just gratify my ocd?" and proceed to picking my skin.

What is it that you pick at mostly? Is it just dead skin or your cuticles?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive Liar [ 4 Answers ]

I have three childrend and recently moved in with a man who has three children to three different women (all the children live with him) and he has a step son who comes to stay whenever he feels like it. The step son seems well adjusted as does the eldest son - it is, however, a very disfunctional...

OCD and compulsive skin picking? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this might sound very weird but in the past few months I have developed a habit with picking the skin on my scalp. I feel that I do it to neutralize my intense anxiety stemming from a recovery from PSTD, and OCD flare-up and a tragic, recent break-up. I was wondering if anyone else out...

I'm a compulsive liar! [ 6 Answers ]

My name is angela and my mom sent in a question about my issue with lying ever sent I made a HUGE lie and mistake I've gotten hit hard by the conseguences my parents wouldn't believe anything I said and I was very ashamed of what I had done I never knew this couild happen I had been grounded for 2...

Compulsive liar [ 7 Answers ]

I work with a colleague who continues to make up stories. The stories are always distressing ones or ones that make u feel sorry for the individual. The individual tends to listen & take note of what is happening to other work colleagues, then coincidentally will be suffering with the matching...

View more questions Search