Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:11 PM
    What medicines and creams? If you know something that I don't, please help! :P I've tried everything.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Well... if it's on your hand... pumice stone + vaseline + gloves when you sleep at night.

If it's on your arm... such as dry skin/flakes, suave has this "advanced therapy" cream that I use that works pretty well.
    Vision Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    well...if it's on your hand...pumice stone + vaseline + gloves when you sleep at night.

if it's on your arm...such as dry skin/flakes, suave has this "advanced therapy" cream that I use that works pretty well.

I've tried suave, and every lotion known to man... NOTHING works. I need new arms :D
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
    "I don't like things that stick out...and I have to get rid of it"

ISneezeFunny, being a male, you'd best be careful of what's sticking out!:p
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 12:50 AM
    Oof. Good call on THAT one.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Have you considered covering your fingers with something? If you use your index finger and thumb to pick, put band-aids over each of them so you can get a grip on anything.

Trim your nails really short.

Wear gloves (start a new fashion trend!).

Wear something or put something on your body you can fiddle with that won't harm you. Maybe stick a band-aid on your arm, you can pick it on and off. Get a bracelet with a moving part you can busy your fingers with, or a necklace. Get a ring you can "spin" on your finger. Wear things with zippers and play with the zipper tab, or zip up and down. Wear hoodies and fiddle with the strings.

Look for some sort of small item you can keep in your pocket that will keep your fingers busy. Maybe something that needs to be opened and closed. Even a pen with a top you can pop off with one and put back on with one hand might be enough to distract you.

But most importantly... when you notice yourself doing it - stop! :)
    Vision Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I got a stress ball to have in my pocket when I'm at work... I think it might help. But that's only at work, otherwise my pockets aren't big enough.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Originally Posted by jilleanleab
    Have you considered covering your fingers with something? If you use your index finger and thumb to pick, put band-aids over each of them so you can get a grip on anything.

Trim your nails really short.

But most importantly... when you notice yourself doing it - stop! :)
    I especially like the above ideas. I am assuming that you meant "can't" rather than the word "can."
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Chi, the complulsion is what needs to essentially be addressed. Until, you can either get some self-help books on Obsessive Compulisive Disorder or get professional help, a trip to a dermatologist could help a bit. Bumps under the skin can be a sign of yeast. There is a book called "The Yeast Connection". I don't recall the author at present but will find out. We generally think of yeast infection as a female issue to be addressed with a three day cream but this is not what I am referring to. Too much sugar in one's diet can overload your system with yeast and cause tiny bumps that can be seen, sometimes only in bright sunlight but can be felt. Sugar in our diets do not just come from cookie's, soda, and such. Begin reading the sugar grams in all food you prepare or purchase. Reading the book could explain some of the issues going on with your skin.

The Obsessve Compulsive Disorder stems from many causes. Since I have this to a degree, I understand the internal anguish you must feel as well as just the skin issues. My family someitmes, teasingly calls me "Monk" from the TV series... don't know if you have seen it but when I catch myself getting into one of these times, it is generally during times of stress or nervousness. The bumps on your skin, you can control, by attempting to remove them. You might examine your life to see if there are lots of areas in your life over which you feel you have no control. Those may need to be addressed to lessen the need for control with the skin problems. I like smooth skin also and have taken clippers as directed by my dermatologist and clip little tags (using disinfectant on clipers before and after and cleansing the area with alcoho then apply a bit of antibiotic orintment such as Neosporin). But from what I read from you, it is not just little tags but rough skin or tiny bumps that make you bother them to remove them. People chew their nails, scratch their scalp, straighten papers, all kinds of things that make them feel more in control and of course, eating disorders come into play which are also issues of "control". I wish I had a quick fix for you but I believe if you get the book and read it, it would help you with the skin issues but chances are if you don't bother your skin, you will chew your nails, or do other things that give the same satisfaction of controllng one area in your life.

I realize you may read this and totally disagree that it is an issue of control and that is of course, why this site is so great. Many ideas and suggestions can be put out here in hopes of helping but if none of this applies to you, just disregard.

I feel that your question is a valid one and I think you called it right when you said "Compulsion" so hope you can get some help in that area as well as the skin issues. You are certainly not alone in either of these problems. My sister deals with skin issues and messes with the bumps and causes worse problems. She was on antibiotics and the doctor just kept giving her antibiotics to clear up her skin but it was killing out the good bacteria in her system and feeding the yeast in her system, thus making the problem worse. She read "The Yeast Connection" and made lots of changes in her diet and the skin issues are better but she as well as I, have our own little "compulsions" that we address every day as do a lot of people. Some people just aren't willing to share things openly as you have. I would imagine a lot of people will be viewing this thread in hopes of finding answers to some of the same types of issues you mention and will appreciate you posting the thread as well as appreciating people offering suggestions of help.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:47 PM
    How about long sleeve shirts for awhile, and pen in a note on your arm "DON'T DO IT", in case you pull your sleeves up to pick?
    Vision Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    How about long sleeve shirts for awhile, and pen in a note on your arm "DON'T DO IT", in case you pull your sleeves up to pick?
    I always wear long sleeves. Except at work I can't.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Chi, Dr. William Crook is the author of "The Yeast Connection". I had said I would find out for you so wanted to let you know. Best to you! :)
    Vision Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Thank You
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Just a small suggestion. I do the same thing, if I see a zit, I poke at it. Its just a force of habit.

I put makeup on my rashes and imperfections, that way I cannot see them. If I don't see them, "they are not there", so I don't pick at them. It actually does help. Its all in your mind, so you just have to re-train your mind.

Good luck! :)
    Vision Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Thanks Nauticalstar...

I do that with stuff on my face, that's not really the issue... it's my arms...

I can't really put makeup on my arms...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:45 PM
    You're welcome :)

If you find the right shade, you really can put makeup on your arms. I use the TrueBlend makeup (I forget who makes it) and the color blends in with your skin tone.

I got a spiderbite on my arm months ago and used that to "hide" it so I wouldn't play with it.

Have you also considered putting bandages of some sort on your arm? I don't know how large it is on you, but ace bandages work well, and they don't look so "unsanitary" like regular band aids do.

For me, the key is to cover it up somehow. :)
    missingpieces Posts: 70, Reputation: 6

Oct 13, 2008, 05:40 PM

I have the same problem cmomma! I have not met anyone else with the same problem. I knit too and I wish it was as simple as that. I was able to stop for a while just by trying to be more conscious of it and making myself stop. Another way to stop is to not have those little zits and bumps, I get them on my arms mostly, and I try to scrub it all away in the shower. Sometimes I get bad and pick again, but it helps when I do this.

Get some good body wash that has little scrubby beads in it and get a good loofa. It helps! Then just try to catch yourself when you are doing it.

If you think of/hear of any other ideas let me know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive Liar [ 4 Answers ]

I have three childrend and recently moved in with a man who has three children to three different women (all the children live with him) and he has a step son who comes to stay whenever he feels like it. The step son seems well adjusted as does the eldest son - it is, however, a very disfunctional...

OCD and compulsive skin picking? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this might sound very weird but in the past few months I have developed a habit with picking the skin on my scalp. I feel that I do it to neutralize my intense anxiety stemming from a recovery from PSTD, and OCD flare-up and a tragic, recent break-up. I was wondering if anyone else out...

I'm a compulsive liar! [ 6 Answers ]

My name is angela and my mom sent in a question about my issue with lying ever sent I made a HUGE lie and mistake I've gotten hit hard by the conseguences my parents wouldn't believe anything I said and I was very ashamed of what I had done I never knew this couild happen I had been grounded for 2...

Compulsive liar [ 7 Answers ]

I work with a colleague who continues to make up stories. The stories are always distressing ones or ones that make u feel sorry for the individual. The individual tends to listen & take note of what is happening to other work colleagues, then coincidentally will be suffering with the matching...

View more questions Search