Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:18 AM
    Both... a small bump on my arm... a zit on my face...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I do notice, however, that I pick my skin when I'm stressed or bored.
    Bingo!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Hello, Momma!

Do either of your parents pick at things on their skin like you do? Do these things that you are picking at cause you any discomfort or itching without you picking at them?
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hello, Momma!

Do either of your parents pick at things on their skin like you do? Do these things that you are picking at cause you any discomfort or itching without you picking at them?

No to both questions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I don't think outing such an embarrassing thing would help me much.
    And you would be the only person in the room with a problem if you go to, say, an OCD support group? And isn't the habit getting to be obvious--and that's not embarrassing?
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:28 AM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Hello, Momma!

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    No to both questions.
    I haven't read everything on this thread. But, have you stated how long you have been doing this?
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:30 AM
    I haven't read everything on this thread. But, have you stated how long you have been doing this?
    My whole life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Well, it's nearly 1:30 here. In 12 hours I have to be at work. I hope more people (YO! CLOUGH!! ), especially ones who've been through this and conquered it, see this thread and give you some good advice. I'll check back after I get some sleep. 'Nighty night.
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    And you would be the only person in the room with a problem if you go to, say, an OCD support group? And isn't the habit getting to be obvious--and that's not embarrassing?

I'm very sensitive about my scars.. >I wear long sleeve shirts all the time.

And I refuse to go to a group.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:33 AM
    And I refuse to go to a group.
    Why? (I had to stay up a little longer... )
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Why? (I had to stay up a little longer....)
    1. I don't have time.

2. It's embarrassing.

3. I don't want to... :eek:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:37 AM
    *cough*

Oh.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:41 AM
    If you have been doing this your whole life and it is causing you so much unpleasantness, then why won't you go to a group, Momma?
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:43 AM
    I know that you've sort of answered that in your previous post. But, you do need help/support with this, if you can't control your urge to do it yourself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:44 AM
    If you have been doing this your whole life and it is causing you so much unpleasantness, then why won't you go to a group, Momma?
    She answered that when I asked it:

1. I don't have time.

2. It's embarrassing.

3. I don't want to...
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Hi Chihuahuamomma,

I picked when I was a teenager and into my early 20's.
    I believe mine was habit of just picking and it was harder to stop than one might think.
    It took some time but constantly reminding myself eventually led to me getting out of the habit all together.

First I would catch myself picking, then imminently stop doing it, and remind myself that I didn't want to pick anymore. That took the longest.

Eventually I would catch myself before I went to pick and was able to stop myself before it happened.
    I would again remind myself that I wasn't going to pick.

One thing I noticed was that picking was much harder if I had my nails done professionally and shaped square (or flat at the tips).
    Something about the acrylic nails and how thick they are made picking uneasy, unenjoyable and frustrating for me.

I know this may sound weird to some people, but the different feeling to the acrylic nail and to the area being picked is very noticeable to a person who picks,
    Therefore making it easier to remind yourself to stop when wearing them.

I wish you the best because I know it's a frustrating, embarrassing,
    Hard to talk about kind of habit to have.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Feb 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Have you ever tried using a cleanser or medicine to make these tiny zits/bumps go away?
    Also, I've read some of your other threads, particularly regarding weight loss. Your diet also has a lot to do with your skin. I see that you are working out and eating healthy, which is an awesome thing to do-not only for your overall health, but for your skin.
    Try using a moisturizer or some kind of acne treatment (and there are lotions/medications for all types of skin-whether you have sensitive skin, etc... ). You must allow yourself time for these treatments to work and I guarantee you will see results. Now if it is that bad, and you cannot take control of your picking habits, then you need to consult with your physician and/or seek the wonderful advice already given to you in this thread.

If you really wanted to, you would make time, and any future possible embarrassment would be reduced significantly. If you really want to stop, you have to have some self control, there is no magic words anyone can say to you to make it go away.
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Depressed in MO
    Have you ever tried using a cleanser or medicine to make these tiny zits/bumps go away?
    Also, I've read some of your other threads, particularly regarding weight loss. Your diet also has a lot to do with your skin. I see that you are working out and eating healthy, which is an awesome thing to do-not only for your overall health, but for your skin.
    Try using a moisturizer or some kind of acne treatment (and there are lotions/medications for all types of skin-whether you have sensitive skin, etc...). You must allow yourself time for these treatments to work and I guarantee you will see results. Now if it is that bad, and you cannot take control of your picking habits, then you need to consult with your physician and/or seek the wonderful advice already given to you in this thread.

If you really wanted to, you would make time, and any future possible embarassment would be reduced significantly. If you really want to stop, you have to have some self control, there is no magic words anyone can say to you to make it go away.
    If you had read one specific thread you would know that I have a rash on my upper arms, that has been there my whole life and frequently I had a couple of the spots on my lower arms, and that's what starts the picking. My diet hasn't affected my skin.
    Vision Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:38 PM
    But thank you. I'm getting health insurance at the end of March, and fully intend on going to the doctor about this.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Feb 29, 2008, 07:28 AM
    But thank you. I'm getting health insurance at the end of March, and fully intend on going to the doctor about this.
    You are welcome. I don't typically read through every post everyone puts out there unless it pertains to something that concerns me. OR unless it is specifically mentioned about- within the current thread that I am reading. However, either which way, definitely see your physician. I have eczema in certain places on my body (elbows, ankle) which looks horrible and I know the frustration and embarrassment you must be feeling as I feel it is comparable to your situation when you describe how it looks and the urge to pick at it.

In the meantime, before you are able to obtain health insurance, there are creams and medicines to help the way that it looks until you are able to seek medical attention.

Good luck girl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive Liar [ 4 Answers ]

I have three childrend and recently moved in with a man who has three children to three different women (all the children live with him) and he has a step son who comes to stay whenever he feels like it. The step son seems well adjusted as does the eldest son - it is, however, a very disfunctional...

OCD and compulsive skin picking? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this might sound very weird but in the past few months I have developed a habit with picking the skin on my scalp. I feel that I do it to neutralize my intense anxiety stemming from a recovery from PSTD, and OCD flare-up and a tragic, recent break-up. I was wondering if anyone else out...

I'm a compulsive liar! [ 6 Answers ]

My name is angela and my mom sent in a question about my issue with lying ever sent I made a HUGE lie and mistake I've gotten hit hard by the conseguences my parents wouldn't believe anything I said and I was very ashamed of what I had done I never knew this couild happen I had been grounded for 2...

Compulsive liar [ 7 Answers ]

I work with a colleague who continues to make up stories. The stories are always distressing ones or ones that make u feel sorry for the individual. The individual tends to listen & take note of what is happening to other work colleagues, then coincidentally will be suffering with the matching...

View more questions Search