Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob Robert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Damaged PEX
    Just installed a heat run with O2 barrier PEX through old wall studs and ended up with some mild abrasions on a portion of the PEX tubing. Should this be replaced or is a small amount of damage acceptable? Also, should all the runs through the old 2x4 studs be sleeved for protection?

Thanks for your time and help!

Bob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Hey Bob... if abrasions barely made it through the outer sleeve that encases the pex tubing then I say you are OK... as long as not extreme and as long as it did not damage the pipe under sleeve in any way. Just don't do it any more ;)

And I do not sleeve my PEX through studs... I drill large enough holes so that I allow for expansion and contraction of heat pipes... that reduces future noises, rubbing and abrasions (say 11/8" hole for 3/4" pex)... just make sure no nails can get to piping (use pipe protective stud clips.. sold everywhere) when sheetrock/plasterboard installed.

That should do it.

If this helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using pex and copper [ 3 Answers ]

We are redoing the majority of the supply in a house we are remodeling. Is there any code or standard on using pex when attaching the water heater. The supply comes in the house as copper. Can we convert it after the meter to pex or do we have to wait until after the water heater? If so, how far...

Getting started with PEX [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very old house with a mix of iron and copper supply pipes. I have a laundry sink I want to connect to the supplies with PEX. I've looked for supplies and tools and know where they are, but, what exactly do I need?

PEX pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I need to run some water lines for a bathroom I am installing in my basement. All the water line in my house now are PEX lines. If I need to run lines for sink,toilet and shower can I tap into a hot and cold line any where and use one line split off three ways too run all. Or is there a better way...

View more questions Search