Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nik-m Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2003, 04:38 AM
    Car is flat/dead
    Hi - I fixed my car, but the question I want to know the answer to is; what actually makes or causes a car to be flat.dead ? When I say this, I mean when you turn the ignition it just makes an awful drone sound and just won't fire up.

Thanks
    sclark Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2003, 08:29 PM
    car is flat/dead
    You need 3 things to make an engine run.
    1) Fuel
    2) Spark
    3) Compression

When your car doesn't start, it is usually one of these.

In the case of a dead battery, usually the problem is Spark. If the battery is sufficiently flat (because you left your headlights on, your door open, your radio playing etc... ), too much power will be needed to turn the starter motor that there won't be enough to generate a sufficient spark across the spark plugs.

The drone you hear is the starter motor turning the engine, It is waiting for a spark to occur to make the engine power itself, however this is not occurring.

If the spark is okay, check you have fuel and lastly make sure there is no compression problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E flat bass music [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what key E-flat bass (or E-flat tuba) music is written in? Is it in E-flat or concert pitch?

Ploblem about hitachi flat crt TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have ploblem with my hitachi flat screen crt TV. Audio and colour are no ploblem at all. But the picture view is bigger than normal. Then, all vertical line are bending in the side like curve but centre of screen is OK. I was trying to repair it. I'll be very please if anybody suggest me....

Flat Paint [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flat latex paint and would like to use it in the bathroom. Is there anything I can add to the paint ot make it #1 semi glossy and #2 Mildew resistant?

Another flat panel question [ 4 Answers ]

I have been reading up on 19' flat panel monitors in anticipation of buying one. I am a little confused by the native resolution thing. I am over 50 years old and a little worried about text and picture imge size as I do a lot of online reading and a fair amount of photo processing. If I understand...

View more questions Search