Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Feb 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Child support and insurance rates
    Does any one know if cost of health care coverage get factored when calculating a support order.

I am asking because my health care for family has more than doubled since the divorce a few years back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
    It will depend from state to state, in some states the actual cost of the children's part is estimated in, in other states it has no bearing at all.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
    You might need to check with your local lawyer because it does apply toward the federal limit of 50% gross when it comes to paying child support. Also be aware that that is a deductable on your taxes and should be written off the top of your gross earnings. I believe that's a new one for '08 but it doesn't hurt to check that also. They have changed the way health care is deducted now.
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Apr 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
    It should be a federal deduction,
    However I could find no info on this subject in the 07 tax laws.
    I found a place for daycare expense and was tempted to
    Put my child suppprt deductions there.

I did find out the definition of 'exemption' and they utilize the word support pretty strongly.
    This is why I don't agree with the custodial parent getting to claim the kids when it's the non-custodial doing the supporting.

If they made it a deduction, that would make me happy.
    Well see what happenes next year
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
    You can also go in to your accountant's office and ask them. Child support payments are not deductable, the medical bills and what not are but not the court ordered child support. If you are paying spousal support that is decuctable. I wouldn't suggest putting your child support in the daycare section (for one I could loose my job) but also because if you were audited they can go back quite a few years and I've already had to watch all of my father in laws assets get frozen for having his taxes seriously messed up from previous years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support and health insurance Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I pay child support right now, and I have until the end of the year to start finding health insurance too. So that means I have to pay the child support plus the extra cost of the medical insurance each month. Is this correct? Or is their something I don't know about?

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

View more questions Search