Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aquakitty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 02:49 AM
    Will my cat be able to make new friends?
    I found my cat about a year ago on the side of the road, barely 4 weeks old. He slept in the nape of my neck for the first few months and the first time he was brave enough to venture outside of my bedroom to the rest of the house, he was about 2 months old. He grew up in my mom's house (I live there but have to move out because they are changing cities) and have to maltese poodles for company, he loves them dearly and doesn't know or understand cats and actually got attacked by another cat in our yard and all he could do was run away and didn't even try and defend himself. He is very overprotective of me and doesn't like it when my mom's dogs go into my bedroom, then they'll get a claw to show his jealously and he only eats when I am home and he also doesn't play or go outside until I get home in the evenings or when I sometimes sleep out. What must I do when I move, I want him to have friends, but is afraid that neighbour cats might bully him. I don't know if I must get a kitten or puppy to keep him company but then again, I think he'll get so jealous if there should be anyone else getting love from me except him. What can I do to "ween" him? My mom also says she has never seen a cat that loves a person like he does. When I get home in the evenings or mornings he always greets me at the door, he doesn't do that with anyone else, then runs to his bowl, where I have to scratch his back while he eats! Not Normal. Please if someone can give me advise. I think it is going to be very traumatic for him to move in the first place and I also don't want him to be homealone during the day when I'm at work.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 27, 2006, 08:10 AM
    First things first, if you do not allow kitty out side you will not have to worry about other kitties in the area bulling him, plus the fact that outside or feral cats have all kinds of diseases and things you do not want kitty to catch such as feline leukemia, ear mite, conjunctivitis

As for moving they all adjust fine, simply keep kitty in one room with litter box food and water, until he get used to his new surrounding, it usually take 7 to 14 days.

As for adding a new friend, you can you just have to get though the adjustment period, just spend time with both of them, if the do not like each other at first it is perfectly normal. The will acclimate to one another in time. It you try to force them it will take longer.

You can research all of your question on Pet Education.com and if in the event you are going to get a new kitty, please adopt this morning as I was posting this answer there were 98,835 cat alone waiting for a home and this was just on one site called Pet Finder . Please do not purchase one from a pet shop; many that are waiting in shelters will be euthanized if they do not find a home.
    aquakitty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 11:46 PM
    Thank you, that helps quite a bit, don't worry, I don't believe in petshops, We've had 4 welfare dogs who just gave us some much laughter & joy and my kitty, like I said, was also found. I live in South Africa where there is a major problem with unwanted animals and there is a institution called TEARS who actually take in strays but don't put them down, I'll definitely go there first!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More than friends [ 12 Answers ]

I've been with my friend for more than 6 months now. I've known him for over a year. We have a special relationship, you could say that we are basically "fuck-buddies". We end up having sex at least once a week and we've arranged it that way. We've never actually sat down and talked about it, it...

I have no friends! [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I have a problem which is completely eating me up and it's getting worse day by day. The main problem is that I find it difficult to keep friends. Whenever I make friends with a group of people, there is always one person in that group who takes a dislike to me, and she (it's...

Just friends.. [ 11 Answers ]

Also posted this under teens but realized that about 6 times as many people have replied on here... OK so I'm 16, and there's a girl I like and we are friends right now we met over the summer at my friends grad party and chilled there for a couple hours and we talk online 1-2 times a week. In...

X-boy friends [ 8 Answers ]

I went to my best friends pool party(lets say her names steph) and my x-boy friend was there(lets say his name was paul) well.. paul started hiting on me.. and I have a boy friend(lets say his names alex) that I've been with for 6 months.. when I went out with paul.. I broke up with him for alex.....

View more questions Search