Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swolson2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 06:15 PM
    House we are renting is being foreclosed, what do we do?
    The house in Saint Petersburg we are renting in being foreclosed. We have been paying rent since November 2006 of $1300 a month. The owner has not paid the mortgage since June 2007 so the bank has filed suit for foreclosure, we got our copies "Jane Doe" on Tuesday.

What do we have to do? Do we have to respond to the court in the 20 days? What is the process from now on out? We are not giving the landlord March's rent. Advice, Suggestions?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 06:27 PM
    I would stop paying the landlord, but deposit the rental payment into a savings account.

When it is all said and done, if the bank requests the rent, you will have it available. You might even offer to stay and rent from the bank until it is sold for less than what the rent was prior to the foreclosure. Sometimes the bank will opt to have a paying renter in the home instead of having it sit empty.

Good Luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
    While all of use would like to stop paying rent, if you don't, the current owner can evict you for non payment if they desire. As long as you live in the hosue you are obligated to pay your rent to the owner. YOu did not say on what date they plan on having the sale, if the sale is to be in March I would not pay March, but if the sale is not till latter, you may have a obligation to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House being foreclosed and we are renting? Landlord didn't pay! [ 9 Answers ]

We are renting a house in PWC virginia. The other morning someone was taken pictures of our home, My mom asked why they said the house is being foreclosed on Sept 28 at 11 am and to go look in Washington post and its listed on the 12 and the 19th. It just so happened it was the 19th. Sure enough it...

Renting and being foreclosed on [ 3 Answers ]

We are renting a house and it is being foreclosed on. Do we still pay the rent? How long do we have before we have to move out? We are in Minnesota

Renter rights, renting foreclosed property. [ 8 Answers ]

I am renting a property that was recently started the foreclosed process. However, I am veryu concerned because I called the landlord and he acted as though nothing happened, and I want to know if I should not pay the next two months rent, so I can save and move out to cover my moving expenses and...

My mom is renting and house was foreclosed on [ 4 Answers ]

My mom is now not able to take care of her finances. She is 65 yrs old. She rents an apt in Ottawa, IL and I just found out the property has been sold back to the bank and the foreclsure proceedings are being finalized on Jan 22, 2008. Q: Does she have to pay the rent or can she use it to get...

View more questions Search