Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Feb 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Would it be wrong to walk out of my job?
    :( So I've been working at this bank for almost 5 months and (especially lately) the atmosphere has gotten increasingly worse. I'm the only teller, so if I left they would have to find a replacement immediately, and the personal banker (who used to be the other teller) would have to train them.

I'm just to the point where I hate coming to work. The personal banker and I do not get along, the customer service manager and her are in cahoots and play favourites and there is absolutely no communication of anything to me, then I get yelled at when either something isn't taken care of or the manage told me how to do something incorrectly.

I've been keeping an ongoing documentation of things that happen everyday, and I'd really like to quit, just not sure if I should just walk or or give my two weeks. I sat down with the two managers last week (and I was getting in trouble for more things that were out of my control) and explained to them that I felt like favourites were played and that I was unhappy, but to no avail.

Any advice would be fabulous, thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Many states are now 'at will' employment which means you do not have to give any notice and they can fire you 'on the spot' So you really don't have to go back at all and if they are treating you that bad then I would say you don't owe them the time of day.
    Of course they can give you a bad reference, but sounds like they probably would anyway.

At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Yeah, pretty much. And I know WA is an at will state. I just feel bad because I've never walked out before... I stayed at a job for 2.5 years and didn't even walk out... but its like when your mom is telling you to just grab your stuff and not go back, its probably something that needs to be done...
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Yeah I think it would be better to just not go back than to walk out.
    Call in sick---sick of the job!

Feb 27, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Yeah, thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 06:02 PM
    You will have to live with this choice for years, as you get new jobs and they call for reference checks. Leaving without notice can stop you from getting future jobs, I was asked about if I gave notice to a prior job today in a job interview, that job wa 12 years ago. ** I did give notice.

So if possible you always give notice.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Sounds like she would get a bad reference anyway and she can always be up front when she applies for jobs that they were making it impossible on her.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
    I believe that giving a two week notice is the professional thing to do. Even if they let you go earlier, you will be able to tell future employment prospects that you gave your notice and they decided to let you go if that happens.

You will be able to say that you gave notice and then the next employer should give you a chance to explain the situation.

Then there is another possibility, in the grand scheme of things you really haven't been there that long. In the future you not find a need to list this employment anyway.
    Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between job specification & Job Description? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between job specification & job descreption? What would be the job specification & job descreption of the post of Accountant for news paper Add?

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

Should I walk away? [ 213 Answers ]

hey guys I am new to this site so please bare with me =) I am 26 year old male who I would say am a good looking guy, I own my own house, I have a good job etc... I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good life and I have a lot to show for. Now 6 montn I fell deeply in love with an old...

View more questions Search