Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Loose Amber
    About ten years ago, my Dad brought me a small trinket box full of loose amber from one of his trips to South America. There are about 50 stones with small holes for stringing onto a necklace.

Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these pieces? I'm not all that crafty and don't want to make something that is going to devalue the amber (some pieces have the "bug thingys"), but I want to have them made into something special.

Should I take them to a jeweler?

Just looking for some fresh ideas about what to do with these stones.

Thanks in advance! :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 02:57 PM
    I would take a quick look at Ebay, see what's available.
    Amber is actually Tree Sap.It is cool stuff. People even make Fake Amber, this sounds like the good stuff.
    Edit.
    Just got back from eBay, they have many pages of amber to give a good idea, here's one:
    amber, Fossils, Mineral Specimens items on eBay.com
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Thanks - great idea! I'll check it out...

Wondering if my best bet is to find out if its "the good stuff" before I do anything with it. Since it came from South America and my Dad didn't normally buy the "cheap stuff," I'm pretty sure its going to be a nice piece when its finished.

Again, thanks! :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 04:27 AM
    I love amber, no two pieces alike. I have several stones mounted in silver, earrings, rings, bracelets, etc. Here is a simple test to find out if your amber is authentic:

Amber is buoyant in salt water. That's why it is easy for locals on the Baltic Coast to find it washed up on beaches, especially after storm events. The amber gets stirred up from a layer known as blue earth, which is beneath layers of silt and clay on the ocean floor. To do this test, mix about 1 part salt to 2 parts water and dissolve the salt completely. Drop your piece into the mixture. Plastic and copal will drop out, while amber floats
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 06:48 AM
    I believe their was a test with heat and a needle, I forget Procedure.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Thank you, tickle! I will try this tonight.

Amber is one of my favorite as well, but these are even more special because my Dad gave them to me. I had forgotten about them for years and only found them recently.

Thanks! :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:36 AM
    https://shop.therainforestsite.com/s...image/7082.gif
    Pretty Good Goods Catalog - Amber Jewelry
    Amber jewelry ~ amber rings, amber earrings, amber pendants, amber neckl ~ MyRing.com.au

You might like to look at these sites for jewelry design ideas.:)

EDIT::::

Jewelry Making - How To Information | eHow.com
    How To Create A Memory Pin | eHow.com
    Loved the memory pin idea,I think it will suit your need to remember your Dad and make a beautiful piece.

Amberworld.lt
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:47 AM
    That memory pin is a beautiful idea! Wow... thank you, firmb!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:07 AM
    :)
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
    I'm not sure how much Amber you have, Maybe you could make a room, Here's one to go by:
    Amber Room
    Click on pictures
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I'm not sure how much Amber you have, Maybe you could make a room, Here's one to go by:
    Amber Room
    Click on pictures
    Wow... I wish! :) Not quite that much...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loose weight or loose my marriage! [ 60 Answers ]

I have been married for about 12 years , my husband has always had a problem with my weight. I have never been hugely overweight just a little pudgy.At one time I lost a lot of weight and got down to a size 4. I am now at the most I have ever weighed.180 size 12/14 See the thing is, for the past...

How can I loose 60 to 80? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm trying to get into the army and I'm about 87 pounds over weight, and I need to know how to loose that weight fast...

Amber color 7-up bottle [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the value of a amber color 7-up bottle made in knoxville, TN.

I'm going to loose everything. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am in a desperate financial situation. I am just trying every idea I can think of. Is there anyone or any organization who will loan me or give me $2,000.00 to pay my property tax, my electric bill, my cable bill, my car insurance, and put heating oil in my tank? I swear to God that I...

Amber is a great moderator [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a member of Amber's board like Dark2Light and I think she's a great moderator. I've never met someone so caring and helpful as Amber. She has helped so many people on her board. When I was having problems with my order with this company, she stepped in and helped me get my products, I found out...

View more questions Search