Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Door to door
    I was wondering how people felt about and handle the people that walk door to door
    Telling you about their religion?

I don't mind the ones inviting me to their church, but
    Personally, it makes me feel very uncomfortable when I encounter the pushy
    Ones that want to explain their religion, or in a sense, push it on me.

This happened to me today. They made me feel uncomfortable. I said sorry I'm not interested
    And they wouldn't accept that I didn't want to answer anymore of their questions, so I closed the door on them while they still kept talking.

Doing that has made me feel bad, so I would like to know how others feel about them and how they handle it when it happens to them?

And if you are a door to door person spreading your religion, why are you so pushy??

And for the record, I'm not talking about the friendly community church invites.

Thanks in advance:)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
    We get that a lot around here where I live. I can always tell when its them, (and I know this will make me look bad) so when I see them, I hide. I feel so bad for doing it, but I don't like religion pushed on me, and I don't like when someone won't take no for an answer.

I don't mind the church invites, like you said, but I don't like the ones that are pretty much saying "if you dont go to our church you'll go to Hell"... thats what I can't stand.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
    I have a sign on my door that reads

"No solicitors, religious groups, or charitable organizations please"

It doesn't work.

I once had two young mormon girls come to my door asking if they could come in and pray with me. My daughter was 2 weeks old at the time and my son had just turned 4. The baby was in my arms screaming because she was hungry and my son was crying because he was tired. I'm standing there with all of this going on around me, thinking that they will realize that this is not a good time, but no. Instead of saying "If this isn't a good time is it okay if we come back later?" or something along those lines, they pushed themselves through the door and asked if they could leave on their shoes. At that point I was so frustrated that I said "I insist that you keep your shoes on, as you are going to need them when I push you out of my house, and don't bother trying again because I have a peephole and can promise you that I will not open the door the next time your are behind it, have a nice day."

They came back a week later and I kept my promise.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Don't feel bad. If they are so callous that they could not accept a friendly "I'm not interested" then they deserve what they get.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 02:36 PM
    I don't get many in my neighborhood, but when I do, I simply say, "No thanks" and close the door. If they try to keep talking I don't feel bad because they are pushy, and if they smile and say, "Ok, thanks" I don't feel bad because we parted on good terms.

A few mormons came to my parent's door once... the neighbors called my mom at work because my dad was screaming and causing such a ruckus because they dared ring his bell. They didn't come back... To be fair, he had brain damage and was totally nuts!
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 27, 2008, 03:33 PM
    I had them at my house today tried to tell them I did not believe any religion and that my aunt had died this morning so it was not the right time he still would not have it and kept going on.
    I am let him carry on when I should have shut the door but why cannot people like that take not intrested as being not intrested
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    I was wondering how people felt about and handle the people that walk door to door
    telling you about their religion?

I don't mind the ones inviting me to their church, but
    personally, it makes me feel very uncomfortable when I encounter the pushy
    ones that want to explain their religion, or in a sense, push it on me.

This happened to me today. They made me feel uncomfortable. I said sorry I'm not interested
    and they wouldn't accept that I didn't want to answer anymore of their questions, so I closed the door on them while they still kept talking.

Doing that has made me feel bad, so I would like to know how others feel about them and how they handle it when it happens to them?

And if you are a door to door person spreading your religion, why are you so pushy???

And for the record, I'm not talking about the friendly community church invites.

Thanks in advance:)
    Kae, you are so abuduntly cute :)

I feel so sorry for them I do. I haven't had any pushy like that, thank goodness, but I really do feel bad. They have an air of "desperation".

Kae, sweetheart, you did the right thing. If they behaved like that, that is not normal behaviour and all floors may not have windows, if you know what I mean :D ( is that how that saying goes :)

Kae, you truly do what is right. To be like that, that may not be of sound mind thereby not being safe.

You did very well Kae. And to be honest, I don't think they represent God fearing people.
    It's a little unbalanced to be so fanatical. That may sound harsh, but if you were to look in their eyes, they have that look that quite honestly is empty.

I'm not saying that all who go door to door like that are unbalanced just that those that only hear their own voice, and are pushy I do have concerns for them.

Lock the door as well. You just never know today.

Hugs and love to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
    I normally feel sorry for the mormon misionaries, most are younger people, often they are thirsty and even hungry, I normally invite them in, offer them something to eat or drink . Since I have read the book or mormom several times I often find I know more about it than they do, so often they shut up at that point.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I normally feel sorry for the mormon misionaries, most are younger people, often they are thirsty and even hungry, I normally invite them in, offer them something to eat or drink . Since I have read the book or mormom several times I often find I know more about it than they do, so often they shut up at that point.
    They are very sweet children that come around. A friend of mine was Mormon or actually is Mormon. Very strict.

No caffeine... ahhhhhhh.

But it sounded very loving though.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Yes, I always wonderred they never took the beer and pigs feet I offered them. But yes some of course drink cafeine.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Thank you each and everyone of you for sharing that with me.

Allheart, you are such a dear, thank you for trying to make me feel better about being a meany today.

Fr_chuck, you said they are thirsty and hungry.
    Do these kids go through something that not everyone knows about?
    Or are they just hungry and thirsty because they've been going door to door all day? Do they have to go door to door? Is it their choice?

I indeed feel bad for them because they are nice kids
    And have always listened and politely said over and over the same stuff
    Until I'm blue in the face; however today it didn't happen that way,
    My patience is wearing thin, and I'm ashamed for it, but that's the way it's turning out to be.

I wish I knew why they were so determined, but when I have asked them in the past (that or any question),
    They answer my question with a question pertaining to how I feel about god
    And the love of god and do I know this and do I know that.

I don't want to feel like I can't answer the door for them, or have to close the door in their face, or be rude, so what is one to do...
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2008, 09:59 PM
    I just tell them that I'm not intrested, and tell them I attend another church, and most of the time they say thank you for your time, gos bless you, and leave.
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Mar 8, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Growing up I can remember my mom telling us how our Grandma (who past away before I was born) would come home from Sunday worship change out of her Sunday best and start walking. They lived in the country and Grandma didn't drive, so she would walk to all the homes around their area. She told them about Jesus and invited them to next Sunday's services.

Now we set at computers telling people from everywhere about Jesus, and yes I invite you to services, I am sure there is a church of Christ in your area.

Things seem to change but then again they really don't. I'm doing what I can to spread the Good News just as my Grandma did. I guess my way is just a little lazier than her way.

So many have come to Jesus through contact with Grandma and her children, I just hope this is one tradition that never ends.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mae
    Growing up I can remember my mom telling us how our Grandma (who past away before I was born) would come home from Sunday worship change out of her Sunday best and start walking. They lived in the country and Grandma didn't drive, so she would walk to all the homes around their area. She told them about Jesus and invited them to next Sunday's services.

Now we set at computers telling people from everywhere about Jesus, and yes I invite you to services, I am sure there is a church of Christ in your area.

Things seem to change but then again they really don't. I'm doing what I can to spread the Good News just as my Grandma did. I guess my way is just a little lazier than her way.

So many have come to Jesus through contact with Grandma and her children, I just hope this is one tradition that never ends.
    How do you invite people to your church through the computer?
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Mar 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Like I said, there are churches of Christ everywhere, and I need to clarify, I am not talking about the LDS churches. If you look in the phone book, I'm sure you'll find one in your area.
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    How do you invite people to your church through the computer?
    I find times to do it even on here, either directly or indirectly by leaving my church web site on my sig line
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mae
    Like I said, there are churches of Christ everywhere, and I need to clarify, I am not talking about the LDS churches. If you look in the phone book, I'm sure you'll find one in your area.
    Thank you and my apologies, I didn't realize that was what you were talking about.

Fr_ChuckQuote:

I find times to do it even on here, either directly or indirectly by leaving my church web site on my sig line
    I did notice yours and thought that was a nice pleasant way.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I got tired of neighbors knocking for a cup of sugar, a ride, etc...
    I swore I was going to post a neon sign that said

I LOVE MY SLEEP
    MORE THAN YOU
    DO NOT KNOCK 'n wake me up!
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Well my Mum is Roman Catholic and my Dad is an Atheist who tried out a lot of different religions out in his teens and me, well I'm the product of all that and so I generally like listening to people's beliefs!

I've only ever had one experience, years ago, when I was living with some friends and home alone.

A couple of Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking and much to their surprise, I let them in!
    They sat down and I offered them some juice and toast, and we chatted for quite a while about their beliefs and mine. They weren't pushy and were very interesting to talk to!

They said "Thank you", left me some pamphlets and never came back!

I think it's sad that some religious groups feel they need to be so pushy about their religion. If you're up against a strong-willed person you'll only ever get a clash of personalities. They need to be diplomatic and patient to win people over!

Who wants a pushy religion? Not me for one!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Years ago, I was visiting my Grandparent, It was an apartment building. I was alone. The firealarm went on and all of a sudden there was banging at the door, also the power went out. I thought it was an emergency. I opened up the door. There were these three big tall men in suits. It was Mormons. I was so freaked out. Pretty much slammed the door.

Normally I give them a few minutes. Let me talk to me and take their pamplets as a courtesy. I do not put up with pushy people either, and if they can not leave it alone, I would have done the same thing as you Ak.

Do not feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

View more questions Search