Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzybee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
    I can't even FIND my pipes let alone fix them!
    I have a real puzzle on my hands. I have a 55-year old wooden house with no basement, and a crawl space I cannot enter. None of the sinks have shut-off valves. The tub does not have a shut-off valve or even a panel I can open to access the pipes. The water can only be shut off at the water meter, which is out by the street curb.The kitchen, two bathrooms and garage sink/washer hook-ups are all built into the back side of the house, in a straight line. I have always assumed that the water pipes must be in the crawl space below them, but as the crawl space is too small to enter, I have never seen them.

I cannot see any water pipes anywhere, inside or out, with this exception:
    I can see the pipes beneath each sink, where they come down into a U-joint and then enter the wall. I can see water pipes in the garage that are fitted for the washer. Outside the house, at various intervals, are metal pipes which come out of the ground about nine inches away from the foundation and standing about a foot and a half high. These pipes are about the size of a silver dollar in diameter. They are metal. The ends are capped. This is the only pipe-work I can see anywhere in or out of the house.

Yesterday the kitchen sink stopped draining. (First time in 18 years.) Liquid drain cleaner had no effect. I used a plunger and at first, the drain appeared to open and the standing water went down. I flushed the sink with hot water, but after about 3 minutes,water once again backed up in the sink.

I plunged several times again, until I could look down into the drain and not see water.Then I took off the U-joint under the sink.(It does not have a clean-out plug.) It was dry and empty. I ran a 15-foot auger into the pipe, where it enters the wall. The auger went in the full 15 feet without hitting anything and came out completely clean.

Thinking the problem was fixed, I put the goose neck back on and tightened the pipes. (Not an easy job for a short, old woman!) I ran the water and the sink drained... for about 4 or 5 minutes. Then water once again backed up into the sink.

Here's what I'm wondering: Is it possible it's not the sink drain itself that is blocked, but whatever is beyond that? What IS beyond that? And how the heck am I going to clean out this drain line when I can't even find my pipes? I
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Hello buzybee.

You sound like you have done everything right... I wonder if you sent a 1/4" spring coil wire "auger" down that kitchen sink drain? That may not be a strong enough tool to do the job. Also, you may not have even gone down the drain... you may have gone down the drain a bit and then hit a vent stack and gone UP the vent from there... not down the drain as you hoped. If you want to explore more you would need to work that snake in/out of drain a few times or more until you are sure went down for good distance. If that does not do it... see below.

You may need to rent a power snake and leather gloves (or have someone else do this for you).

Although you cannot find other pipes/drains, etc. at this point... stay focused on kitchen sink drain itself. UNLESS other fixtures are affected by this problem... then we would recommend some other strategy.

For now, hand snake again... then power snake if necessary... and see from there. Just remember, a snake does not always go down the drain... can go up a vent, too... so must go in/out a few times to be sure you went down drain and cleared clog (snake should come back on it with something?? ).

Anyway, let us know what you decide.. ok?

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find bleeder valves to bleed hot water heat pipes [ 2 Answers ]

We've just bought a 50-year old home with baseboard hot water heating. I know how to bleed pipes and radiators to release air blocks, but I can't find any bleeder valves in the "usual" places at either end of the copper pipes. :rolleyes: Sounds silly, I know... Would they be located...

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

Can I fix hazardous steps if a contractor is refusing to fix, and threatens to sue? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Texas. I hired a landscape contractor to install retaining walls and a patio which included 4 steps in stone. These steps range in size from 6.5" to 9.5" and the tallest is on the top! They are very dangerous. He refuses to do any fixes, and walked off project. At one point in the...

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Need to fix this [ 1 Answers ]

Need advice on how to get in touch with an old boyfriend from, are you sitting down? almost 20 years ago. I broke up with him and it was a big mistake. I am married now to someone else but I've never stopped thinking of this boyfriend. I know it sounds crazy, but I feel I need to let him know this...

View more questions Search