Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaime_Hearts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Salary pay for an admin position.
    I've been working as an admin for a company,who pays me salary, for about a little over a year now. More so recently, I've been staying late since business is picking up. Since I am on salary, I am not being compensated for the hours I stay late. When I accepted the job, I was told my salary was compensation for working 830-5. I stay till 6 or sometimes 7 about 3-4 days out of the week and my friend mentioned something to me that because I work in an admin position, which can sometimes require me to stay late, that I should be paid hourly, not salary. Is this true? I don't mind staying late, but when they don't compensate me, AND everyone else leaves and I'm the last person here, AND I have to be there at 830 the next morning, I feel cheated. Does anyone suggest a professional way to go about this? Or am I just SOL? :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Admin is such a vague title it can be anything. But If you were hired as a salaried worker, then you are not eligible for OT. If you are doing your job well, talk to your boss. Explain that your work load has increased requiring you to spend more time on it. Ask for a raise.
    Jaime_Hearts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Hi Scott,
    Thank you for your answer. I assumed that is what I will need to do! We get yearly raises and bonus bi-yearly... so asking for another raise when I will get one this summer might be pushing it! :) the way I've been "compensating" my time is by coming in a little late in the morning (15-20 mins) on the mornings that I worked late the night before. Thank you again for your help!

Feb 27, 2008, 01:11 PM
    That's another possibility. Some companies will give compensatory time off for those salaried individuals who work a lot of OT hours. Also, when Bonus time comes around, make sure your boss is aware of your extra work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Jamie - Whatever you do don't start coming in late to "compensate" for working late. This does not show your professionalism. Quite the contrary, it shows that you are tardy and no boss wants a habitually tardy employee. If you keep up the promptness of being there at your regular time and working overtime you are showing the right attitude and the boss will notice your dedication. The way you are going about it now coming in late is not a good indication that you are truly serious about your job. You are not an executive yet so don't start acting like one until you are one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 06:13 PM
    There is a federal min salary pay to get a company out of having to pay over time, I have looked it up a dozen time but don't remember at this time. It was somewhere in the mid 20 thousands 25 or 27, so if you are under the federal min amount required to be on salary, they still have to pay overtime.

Feb 27, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Whatever you do don't start coming in late to "compensate" for working late. This does not show your professionalism. Quite the contrary, it shows that you are tardy and no boss wants a habitually tardy employee.
    I disagree. When you are a salaried employee you are paid to do a job, not necessarily to be at your desk from x to y (though some salaried employees are expected to be present for specific times). If you have to stay longer to get your job done it goes with the territory. On the flip side, if your job can be done in less time, then it may not be necessary to be there on schedule.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime_Hearts
    I've been working as an admin for a company,who pays me salary, for about a little over a year now. More so recently, I've been staying late since business is picking up. Since i am on salary, i am not being compensated for the hours i stay late. When i accepted the job, i was told my salary was compensation for working 830-5. i stay till 6 or sometimes 7 about 3-4 days out of the week and my friend mentioned something to me that because i work in an admin position, which can sometimes require me to stay late, that i should be paid hourly, not salary. Is this true? i don't mind staying late, but when they don't compensate me, AND everyone else leaves and I'm the last person here, AND i have to be there at 830 the next morning, i feel cheated. Does anyone suggest a professional way to go about this? or am i just SOL? :)

There is also a "professional category" under the Fair Labor Standards Act which does NOT qualify for overtime. As an administrator I would think you fall into this "professional category." Employers tend to abuse the category and I actually saw Pharmacy Techs suddenly go from hourly to salaried to "professional" and - poof - not a large salary, no overtime. Note that you are in this "professional" category if you exercise discretion and judgment - such as a manager or administrator.

"While the classification of doctors, lawyers, and other “professional” occupations as exempt from many FLSA protections is self-evident, the law ambiguously stipulates that professionals “who regularly exercise discretion and judgment” are also exempt.

The Fair Labor Standards Act provides for a “professional exemption” for such jobs as:

One that requires advanced education or knowledge
    Work in an original and creative artistic field
    Teaching
    Computer systems analyst, programmer, engineer, or similar field
    Those who perform work which is intellectual and varied in character, the accomplishment of which cannot be standardized as to time
    Those who regularly exercise discretion and judgment

These classifications have frustrated many workers, such as computer and information system workers, who have a great deal of specialized knowledge but no professional training. These changes to the law allow many companies to reclassify these workers as “professionals” and thus not pay them overtime."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary pay [ 1 Answers ]

Can my employer dock my salary if I'm out for medical reasons? The company has a long term disability plain, but no short term plain. Missed six weeks of work with no pay.

Salary treatment with Sick and Vacation pay [ 2 Answers ]

If you are salaried at 40 hours per week and you have company paid vacation and sick leave how do you calculate your pay for the week if you are absent for 4 hours of one day.

Law on salary pay [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm New At This And I Wanted To Know I'm An Office Manager At Doctors Office And I Get Paid "salary" But I'm Really Not Because I Have To Turn In My Hours And If I Work Only 75 Hours On A 80 Hour Period They Only Pay For 75 And If I Work 82 They Pay Me 80 Is That Legal?

Salary Pay [ 1 Answers ]

We have any employee that is in a salary position as a salesman. He occasionaly will travel for business and occasionally work a little overtime (maybe a 1/2 hr or an 1 hr per week). He normally is in the office Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. He already used all of his vacation and sick time...

Cutting salary employees pay [ 6 Answers ]

Can an employeer cut a salary employees pay and move them to an hourly position because of being absent with out any kind of warning first?

View more questions Search