Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Feb 27, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Pinsol and bleach mixture
    Can you mix pinesol and bleach together without harmfull side effects. The store I work at does it all the time I hate using the stuff cause it is so strong. But I no you can't mix amonia and bleach does pine sol have amonia in it?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Check the Pine-Sol label.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Pine sol has alcohol surfactants, sulfonate binders, and pine oil. I don't believe any of these react with bleach (im a chemist by training years ago, but don't work with these chemicals and not claiming expert knowledge here).

For expert, reliable knowledge, id go right to the source. Contact clorox and state you've worked in a situation where bleach was mixed with pine sol and are there any concerns about this.

The Clorox Company | Our Products

Go to the bottom of the page and click on "contact us" then request information by filling in the blanks. It will most likely be passed on to a technical person who will answer your question within a few days. I've usually had success in the past using company contact sites like this to get chemical info such as what you are asking.

Feb 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    Check the Pine-Sol label.
    Pine sol does not put any ingredients on there lable thanks though.

Feb 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    pine sol has alcohol surfactants, sulfonate binders, and pine oil. i dont believe any of these react with bleach (im a chemist by training years ago, but dont work with these chemicals and not claiming expert knowledge here).

for expert, reliable knowledge, id go right to the source. contact clorox and state youve worked in a situation where bleach was mixed with pine sol and are there any concerns about this.

The Clorox Company | Our Products

go to the bottom of the page and click on "contact us" then request information by filling in the blanks. it will most likely be passed on to a technical person who will answer your question within a few days. ive usually had success in the past using company contact sites like this to get chemical info such as what you are asking.
    Thank you although I have already visited the site. No ingredents are listed. I wrote them an email to ask. They just said don't mix bleach and pine sol. I just emailed them back today asking can I mix PINESOL AND BLEACH, I also asked them if it has amonia in it. Thanks :)
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
    It doesn't have ammonia.

I've seen the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the pine sol and it does not list ammonia. Its not there. The MSDS lists terpene hydrocarbons (similar to gasoline hydrocarbons), isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), and ethoxylates. Also the MSDS states the pH for pine sol is 8.5-10... which mean it isn't acidic, its basic.

It is the acids in drain cleaners or ammonia that causes reactions with bleach.

I'm not prepared to tell you legally that this is OK and to do it... and I doubt clorox will encourage you in writing to mix bleach with anything besides water for dilution. I will simply tell you that the ammonia or acids in other cleaners that react with bleach are not present in pine sol.

When in doubt, always use good ventilation when using any chemical cleaners, especially bleach.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:45 PM
    By the way, if you want to know about the chemicals in something, Yahoo or Google MSDS and whatever it is you are looking for.

The only problem with this is that an untrained eye doesn't know what they are reading... for ex, tablesalt can kill you, water can kill you, caffeine can kill, oxygen can kill, etc...

So people sometimes read an MSDS and get up in arms about the dangers listed... sometimes for no good reason other than they don't have the proper training.

Also, the clorox site did have msds sheets for pine sol... you just had to know what to look for. Most manufacturers of cleaning agents should have links to MSDS sheets readily available.

Feb 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    by the way, if you want to know about the chemicals in something, yahoo or google MSDS and whatever it is you are looking for.

the only problem with this is that an untrained eye doesnt know what they are reading... for ex, tablesalt can kill you, water can kill you, caffeine can kill, oxygen can kill, etc...

so people sometimes read an MSDS and get up in arms about the dangers listed... sometimes for no good reason other than they dont have the proper training.

also, the clorox site did have msds sheets for pine sol... you just had to know what to look for. most manufacturers of cleaning agents should have links to MSDS sheets readily available.
    Thanks for all of your help pine sol got back in touch with me and told me they do not recommend mixing it with anything other then water so i will show this to the owner of my store. Thanks a bunch :)
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Well, that's fine.

For myself, only for myself, I wouldn't be too concerned about mixing, other than the normal ventilation needed with any bleach solution...

But I'm not going to speak for you or your biz.
    christopher45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Why would you mix the two together? Pine Sol is already a disinfectant. Odds are you are trying to create some sort of super-cleaner by mixing two chemicals together.Odds are no one is even measuring the pine-sol or the bleace-so you have no idea what you are creating. Stupid idea!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I bleach my hair or Do a full heavy all over bleach highlights? [ 2 Answers ]

Info on myself. Blue eyes, fair skin, pink undertones, natural hair color is dark blond. Last month I had my hair dyed a dark blonde. BTW, this was done professionally. The top area came out with dark blonde, gold/ red tones, and does not match my skin tone. I would like to be more in the neutral...

Chemical mixture [ 1 Answers ]

What happens when water and bleach are mixed together?

Paint mixture [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There Guys Does anybody know what colour stainers do I use to mix 20litres white paint To canary yellow. Thanks guys

Mixture problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi alll- I have two homework problems that I need help with: 1. How many liters of pure water should be evaporated from 7.5 liters of a 15% acid solution so that the solution that remains is a 20% acid solutions. 2. The number N of guests that arrive at a mall food court each hour can be...

View more questions Search