Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngeorgia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Another complicated question
    Hi
    I am from India. I am on F1 visa since 2001. I got married in June 2004. My wife didn't work in 2004. In August 2005, she joined the same school. She is on assistnatship. For 2004 tax forms, I claimed her as dependent.
    My question is that can I claim her as dependent since she was dependent on me for 8 months.
    If I can claim her as dependent then I guess obviously we need to file taxes separately.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 09:10 PM
    I believe I answered this already.

If you are both non-resident aliens who earn income, then you cannot claim each other as dependents. You each have to file your own Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

The good news is you will probably pay the same amount in taxes.

Jan 26, 2006, 11:05 PM
    Thanks atlanta tax expert
    I agree we can not claim each other but can I claim my wife as dependent because she was dependent on me for 8 months in year 2005. She started earning from August 2005. I wish I could claim her as my dependent (money matters). Is it possible that I fill out 1040 -NR (claiming my wife as dependent) and my wife can fill 1040-NR EZ form (without claiming anybody dependent).
    Thanks a lot
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 05:22 PM
    NGeorgia:

Sorry, the condition on claiming your dependent when you file 1040NR is that the dependent earns zero income.

Exactly how much did she earn?

Jan 27, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Thanks atlanta tax expert
    She earned less than 5000 dollars in the year of 2005 (august to December)
    Thanks once again
    ngeorgia
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2006, 07:19 AM
    I see your point about "wasting" her deductions. Unfortunately, I see no alternatives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not know what to do... PLEASE HELP... (warning this is complicated) [ 14 Answers ]

OK, so I am very new to the whole "relationship" scene, I am 20 yrs old and just lost my virginity a month ago. I am a late bloomer yes, but I honestly wanted to wait to do the deed with someone I deeply cared about, and I can honestly say that I was falling in love with the girl I was with. The...

Complicated Rent Question, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

I am hoping that there is someone out there that can provide a little legal council into my housing matter. My father and I currently live in a house which resides on a horse farm of a very wealthy individual. This wealthy individual owns the house that I live in, but used to let his horse trainer...

Very complicated situation, please help! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I became an independent contractor of a financial company in May, 2004 while I was still on my F-1. But I did not make any income with them until late 2004, when I already changed my status to OPT. Then in February 2005, I found a full-time job and stopped working at...

Complicated question [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Arkansas in 2001 by a jp. I was married for about a year before my wife was unfaithful then we separated but not legally. At that time we were living in California. She moved back home to Mississippi in early 2003. Later in 03 she filed for a divorce there and sent me the papers(...

Very complicated 401K distribution question - help! [ 5 Answers ]

This one stumped my accountant... My husband had a 401K distribution when his company folded, it was a rollover check made out to his next company's 401K, FBO him. That company folded before the check was deposited, and the 401K was closed. The 401K plan administrator has been disbanded as...

View more questions Search