Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
    This is how I would have done this. Since it's a sample, you need to find what I call . (p-bar is the same as p-hat, and I don't know how to do the symbol for that either ;) and that doesn't look how I mean -- i.e. sigma sub-p-bar) Your book could call this something else. This is the standard deviation for a sample proportion.

The equation I know for this is:

I seem to recall there's another equation for this, but don't think I ever learned it. Again, that needs to be looked up in the text to see which one is being used.

Using this equation, I get:

From there, you can use the same z equation. If you think of the z equation, rather than symbols, as:

By says "its points" and "its standard deviation" I mean the ones that belong to the point you're using. i.e. is your point an x, an x-bar, or a p-bar? This can be applied whether you're doing a population, a sample mean, or a proportion. They all work exactly the same way. In this case, the point is the .5 you're finding the probability of, "its mean" is .6, and "its standard deviation" is the .0586 I figured out.

As for whether it could be a t, different books have different tests for this. The one I learned is np > .05 and np(1-p) > .05. Again, got to find that in the particular text being used.

Unfortunately, much of this is book-dependent. But this is the basic gist of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration prob [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is being held in immigration jail right now. The only way for him to be released and not get deported is to get his felony case appealed. If we were to get married now while he is in jail (if that is possible) could he still be deported?

How to do this molarity prob. [ 6 Answers ]

So my chemistry teacher doesn't really explain how to do these problems, but we have online assignments to do and I have about a million questions set up exactly like this one lol. Can anyone tell me how to solve this, step by step? 2.26 g H2SO4 in 296 mL of solution Please answer before 7...

Best friends prob [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I hv this friend " Emiliano" that I've known since we were 6 or 7 yrs old!! We had a good relation.. we used to spends most of our time together and hang out... well he didn't pass 8th grade and had to repeat it... bt we still continued to be friends... well I encouraged him and brought him to...

Last name prob. [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have a prob. I'm going to have my baby next month and I want to no if I can give her any last name even if it has nothing to do with me

Word prob. [ 1 Answers ]

30% of tickets sold by a movie theater for the Friday night show, their children's tickets at 4 dollars each. The rest of the tickets were sold at the full price of $8.50. The movie theatre collected $252 for the children's tickets. How many tickets did they sell in all?

View more questions Search