Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Feb 27, 2008, 01:12 AM
    "Repent and be baptized
    Acts 2:38
    Peter said, "Repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Just wondering what this verse means to you?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 04:44 AM
    I was baptized into the Anglican church when a few weeks old. I don't think I had time to commit any sins.

IMO it means be baptized or suffer everlasting hell when you die. At least that's what I have been told, but I am not necessarily a church goer and live my life as I see fit, will be cremated when I die and that will be the end of it. Although I would like to think I could come back and haunt a few people once in a while.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 09:43 AM
    John the Baptist was the last in the long line of the prophets that God sent to his Old Covenant people, the Jews. If we look at the Baptism it gives us some indication as to what it is all about.

“Repent, for the kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.” From around the Jordan, and even from Jerusalem, the people come out to John in great numbers, and he baptizes them, dipping them beneath the waters of the Jordan. Why? People from all about that region heard what John said, openly confessed their sins and were baptized by him in the Jordan. That baptism was for the Jews.—Acts 13:23, 24; Luke 1:13-16.

Those Jews were urgently in need of repentance. In the year 1513 B.C.E. at Mount Sinai their forefathers had entered into a national covenant with God. But they had not lived up to their responsibilities under that covenant and so were condemned by it as sinners

When Jesus came to John, John knew that Jesus had no sins to confess, and so he said: “I am the one needing to be baptized by you, and are you coming to me?” But Jesus' baptism was to symbolize something different. So he replied: “Let it be, this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” (Matt. 3:13-15)

Jesus' baptism could not symbolize repentance over sin; nor did he need to dedicate himself to God rather his baptism symbolized the presenting of himself to his heavenly Father to do His further will. God's will for the “man, Christ Jesus,” involved activity in connection with the Kingdom, also the sacrifice of his perfect human life as a ransom and as the basis for a new covenant. (Luke 8:1; 17:20, 21; Heb. 10:5-10; Matt. 20:28; 26:28; 1 Tim. 2:5, 6)

Three and a half years after his resurrection Jesus gave instructions to his disciples, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them.” (Matt. 28:18, 19)
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Means nothing to be do not believe in it.
    When I had my first child my aunt asked me if I was going to have him baptised I told her no she was in utter shock and started telling me that he would not go to heaven he was 3 weeks old
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
    It is the repentance that saves, the baptism is a outward sign to the world that you have accepted Chirst, there are other verse as well that tells us that accepting Christ is what saves. Being baptised is a follow up to that salvation, This is where the Christian church is somewhat slip, with the larger number, Catholics, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutherans, Methodist and others all baptising infants. The other groups do not but only baptise adults,
    This is from the difference of opinon of Original sin ( debated to death here over past years)
    You are either one denomination or antoher, each group will not change their view points,
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Just to clarify……………Acts 2:38: “Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins.” (Did the baptism itself bring forgiveness to them? Consider: This was stated to Jews who shared responsibility for the death of Christ. [See verses 22, 23.] Their baptism would give evidence of something. Of what? That they now put faith in Jesus as the Messiah, the Christ. Only by their doing this could their sins be forgiven. [Acts 4:12; 5:30, 31])

Feb 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Baptism does not guarantee salvation, but it is one of the requirements of being saved. Just being a Christian doesn't guarantee that I will be saved, some will say, "Lord, Lord," and He will not know them. Only those who do His will--will be saved.

I, myself, cannot comprehend why some believe that baptism is not truly needed for salvation.

Acts 9 tells us about Saul, who had persecuted Christians, he was sent to the house of Judas. The Lord sent Ananias, he placed his hands on Saul and said, "Brother Saul, the Lord--Jesus,... has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit." Immediately, something like scales fell from Sauls eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized.

Acts 16:11-15
    Paul and Silas sat down and began to speak to the women who gathered there. One was named Lydia, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message. When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home.

When Paul and Silas were beaten and thrown into prison, the Lord caused an earthquake to shake the foundation of the prison. Thinking everyone had escaped, the jailer was going to kill himself. Paul shouted for him not to, he told him that they were all still there.
    The jailer, knowing this was the hand of God, fell trembling before Paul and Silas and asked them, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." They told him and his household, the word of the Lord. At that very hour the jailer washed Paul and Silas' wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

There is also Philip and the Ethiopian. After Philip had taught the Ethiopian about Jesus he said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" Then both Philip and the Ethiopian went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

Mark 16:15-16 clearly affirms the need for baptism. "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Verse 16 says we must be able to believe the message that is preached to us before we are baptized. This doesn't mention babies and children. We must be old enough to know that we have sinned. 1 Peter 3:21 tells us "...the pledge of a good conscience toward God."

I find nowhere in the New Testament (which is the one we live by today) where little children are baptized. Little children have no sin. Any child who dies will be with our Father. Their angel is always looking at God.

It's when we get old enough to understand right and wrong, and commit sins, that we need to baptized.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Donna Mae thanks, that was well said.

There is the argument of “Original Sin” which FC pointed out…that is, we are born into sin so that there is not even babies' with-out sin. But that argument can be set aside in the case of Baptism because it comes up short as the reason for children being baptized. They simply are not mature enough to understand “Repent” or knowledgeable enough to have faith in Jesus.

Feb 27, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    it comes up short as the reason for children being baptized. They simply are not mature enough to understand “Repent” or knowledgeable enough to have faith in Jesus.
    This is so very true. Thank you so much for your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Communion, should you be baptized? [ 18 Answers ]

:confused: My family has recently started going to our local christian church, communion is offered during the service. I, nor have my children been baptized, should we take part? If we should not, how do you decline? Thank you. Gina

Baptized with the Holy Spirit [ 3 Answers ]

Why do Christians need to be baptized with the Holy Spirit?

Can a child be baptized Catholic and Protestant? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a religious dilemma. I was raised Catholic and married a man who was baptized Methodist. He never went to church with his parents and they never taught him about religion, so he pretty much developed his own relationship with God, and does not agree with organized religion. He does not,...

Forward this message or you'll repent [ 5 Answers ]

Lately, I have been receiving mails saying if I don't pass that mail someone's kid is going to die or something bad will happen. I know for sure that that is all bull**** but why do they send such E-Mails. Is this some sort of advertisement program or what?

Can a child be baptized into 2 religions? [ 3 Answers ]

I am English and my husband is Greek and we live in Ireland. My son age 7 was born in Belgium and has a British passport. My husband is going to baptize him in Athens, Greece over Easter so he will be Greek Orthodox, but I want to baptize him in England so he is church of England like myself. Is...

View more questions Search