Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janguera Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 03:02 PM
    2D rotations about the center of mass
    Hey all,

I've place this post on the Math site, but I'm hoping that I might get an answer from someone here sooner!

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the resultant polar coordinates of a triangle following the triangle's 45 degree rotation about it's own center of mass. I've seen how to rotate the triangle about the center of the screen using:

In 2D, you make (X,Y) from (x,y) with a rotation by angle t so:
    X = x cos t - y sin t
    Y = x sin t + y cos t

... but this only rotates the triangle with regards to the background. I want to figure out a way to find the NEW polar coordinates of the triangle after a 45 degree rotation. Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome!

Joaquin :)
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 21, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Why not translate the triangle so the centre of mass is at the origin, then rotate it, then translate it back?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2D Rotation about center of mass [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Everyone! I've posted this question on both the physics and math sites, but I'm hoping that by fishing in all three that I might get an answer sooner! With that in mind... I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the resultant polar coordinates of a triangle following the triangle's...

XP Security Center [ 9 Answers ]

I run avg anti virus and xp in my security centre it says no anit virus found but avg is running fine all updates are done what is the problem

Mass [ 1 Answers ]

A thin circular sheet of aluminum has a radius of 20 cm and a thickness of 0.50 mm. Find the mass of the sheet.

How do I rotate a 2D triangle around its center of mass? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the resultant polar coordinates of a triangle following the triangle's 45 degree rotation about it's own center of mass. I've seen how to rotate the triangle using: In 2D, you make (X,Y) from (x,y) with a rotation by angle t so: X =...

Mass [ 4 Answers ]

What mass of lead(II) nitrate is present in 20.0mL of a solution? See below. Two different lead(II) nitrate solutions are used, each sample is reacted with an excess quantity of a potassium iodide solution, which produces lead(II) iodide.

View more questions Search