Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ppatton79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
    No pay as a salaried employee
    I am a salaried employee and am entitled to 2 weeks. Vacation and 5 personal/sick days. I am required to work overtime without pay.
    I recent just came off an illness in which I missed 12 of my 15 vac./personal days.
    I was told I could lose those days, or not take the pay. However, I will have more than made up for these lost hours this year. It seems to me that my employer is wanting his cake and eat it too. Is this legal? How can I approach this with him if it isn't?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Somehow in your mind you think that working overtime and not getting paid means that you are entitled to those hours you worked with pay. Being a salaried employee means that regardless of how many hours a week you work you are paid a set amount. I think a two week vacation and 5 personal/sick days a year is quite generous. I would either take the pay or leave the days intact. It is you, my dear, who wants to have their cake and eat it too. No, your employer is well within his legal rights to ask you to do this. Remember, there are lots of other people out there who would just love to have a job these days so you should be pretty easy to replace if you decide to "fight" this out with your employer. Remember, they can fire you for any and no reason or simply lay you off. It's an employer's market out there, not an employee's market. Please keep this in mind.
    jp242 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
    You are an exempt employee, where this is no overtime. I am positive you were aware of this before you started. You need to stop counting your "overtime" or find another job. As far as the rest, I think I read this as you were sick for 12 days? If so you either take it as time off not paid or use up your vacation/sick days. He is not breaking any laws by requiring you to do so.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
    As a salaried employee there is no counting the hours, heavens, at 60 plus hours a week on my shortest week, I guess I could add up 20 weeks a year "extra" time, but that is just part of being salary, But normally it also means that you will get paid if you are not there also. But for days off they can ask you to use your vacation and sick days first, but after these are gone, this is where the issue will happen, if you have to take off sick again and miss work, as a salary they may not be able to take pay away for valid sick time.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
    I will say that all my employers (well.. my department heads, actually) have been pretty understanding about "comp time". In other words, if someone who was salaried felt bad, or needed to take time off for a day because they had the flu, or needed to take off for an hour or two to run an errand/doctor's appointment, etc. they would let the person do so with the assumption that the time would be made up at some point and the work would get done. However, there is no way that they would do that for a 12-day absence. And every company I have worked at has required that someone who is ill use sick days, vacation days, and then the short-term disability would kick in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hours of a salaried employee laws [ 1 Answers ]

How many hours after 40 do I have to work?

Salaried Employee [ 2 Answers ]

Are salaried employees required to complete a timesheet

How to Calculate Tax return for H1B holder working in US as an salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a salaried employee, working in US since mid April, 2007. For the first 2 months I was not working. I started working from Mid June and working till now. My employer has enrolled me as an employee after getting the first project in month of June only. So, I have received the first...

Salaried employee on call 7/365 [ 4 Answers ]

I work in Texas, am salaried, and am on call 7 nights a week without compensation. How legal is that?

Salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted a salaried position with a six day work week. Although I am employed by the same owner as other managers, I am the only Manager working at a retail store. The other Managers work in the Corporate Office, unrelated to my position. All Managers are required to work 6 days but...

View more questions Search