Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashhall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Birth control
    I was wondering do anyone think it is a bad idea to put a teenage girl going to high school on Birth control?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Why are you putting her on birth control? Is she sexually active, is she thinking of becoming sexually active? How old is she?

Personally I think it's time for a mother/father daughter talk. Ask her if she knows about birth control, does she know how effective it is. Does she know that the pill doesn't protect you against STD's etc. etc. Be open and honest with her and hopefully she will be open and honest with you. Share your views and ask her about hers. In other words, open up the lines of communication and hope that you gain enough info in order to make a decision about birth control. Ultimately though, it is up to her whether she does go on Birth control, but if you do have a very informative talk with her and she's a bright girl then she will have all the information at hand when she decides to take that next step.
    pie812 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 10:50 AM
    A high school girl on birth control is an important topic. What's important is that you have the talk with her, find out if she's sexually active. I myself asked my mom to put me on birth control, I've been taking it for 2 years now (I'm currently 17) I think it's a lot safer and an important responsibility
    SoConfusedFRandUS Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
    I am currently 21 years old and was put on birth contorl 7 years ago and will be undergoing an IUD implant in four months. I agree that it is a discussion to have with your daughter as to its risks and benefits ( I personally went on it because I had debilitating cramps EVERY month) and what it does and does not prevent (i.e. STD's). Another thing you should do is speak with the Dr. you want to bring her to as some pills have less hormone levels than others, some are tri-phasic, some are a constant dose and make sure you read the insert that comes with the pills if you are to go ahead with it.

P.S.- It's a personal decision, don't force her to if she tells you she is not going to be sexually active anytime soon if you have a trusting relationship
    humpty_freaking_dumbty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashhall
    I was wondering do anyone think it is a bad idea to put a teenage girl going to highschool on Birth control?
    No I dontthink its abad idea to put her on birth control because if you want her to be safe then that would be the right thing to do if you don't want her to get pregnant if she is sexually active.
    indiewoman21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 09:16 AM

No I Don't Think It Is A Bad Idea, You Have To Protect Her Ad If She Is Sexually Active Then This Would Be The Best Of Ideas
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 12:24 PM

Do make sure she understands that the pill, or any other form of birth control for women, will not protect her against the possibility of STDs. Unfortunately, not all young people will be honest about their passed relationships, whether they have a STD, or even know if they do.
    If you know she is sexually active, it is a very wise decision. While you may not agree with her being sexually active, better for her to be protected than not.
    Definitely communicate often about the topic of relationships and being wise. She may not be active now, so it may not be necessary if you are thinking of it as a preventive measure for the "what ifs"... but hopefully you will talk enough so that if and when she does become ready she will know to come to you to get the straight facts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for 4 years. I am on the pill, but consistently miss pills every month, usually 3 or 4 of my active pills. He does not use a condom and does not use the pull out method. Of the 4 years we have been together I have not once become pregnant. We now want to have a...

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had an abortion a month ago and thought I would never have sex again. Now I am thinking realisticly and want to start birth control pills. When do I start them now that I have missed starting immediately after the procedure?

Birth Control [ 1 Answers ]

I have stopped taking my birth control pill yasmin back in June of 2005, I have been trying to get pregnant ever since. How long does it take for everything to go back to normal when you stop taking the pill . Im really worried that there might be something wrong cause I haven't gotten pregnant yet

View more questions Search