Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loverboy1982 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 12:01 PM
    GirlFriend never helps with money
    Me and my girlfriend have been going out for almost a year now. She is very loveable and a loving person. I have no problems with her except one problem.
    I intend to marry her but so far I cannot see what her contribution will be financially to our relationship. We go out all the time, to lunch & Dinner and not once has she ever picked up the tab or even suggest that she picked up the tab or even offer to help pay the tab.
    Even when we are home and go to the grocery to get some stuff to cook. I always pretend that I have little money with me or just enough and not once she has said if you don't have enough I have some you can use. This has never happened.

This Worries me and Scares me. She had also asked me for a very expensive Christmas gift. We have not been together for a year and she wanted a gift costing $3000 for Christmas. I don't think this will work out since I work very hard for the money I earn. Its not like I don't have enough cause I earn $220 a day but I need to know somehow what if we get married I have to pay all the bills.

Please help
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Looks like she's taking advantage of you. If this doesn't get fixed now, it'll last for eternity. Does she work? Does she have money?

Either talk to her, or bail out now.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 26, 2008, 12:18 PM
    You kind of answered own question. Marriage is out of the question unless you want to pay for everything. Most women this days will offer to pay for a couple of meals here and there or at least offer to pay a portion.

Asking someone to purchase a give is poor taste. Gifts are suppose to be from the heart. Its OK to suggest items.. for an example you two are in a mall window shopping and she points an item that she likes you take a mental note of it.

I would be very cautious!

If you don't mind me asking how old are you two?

Feb 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    looks like she's taking advantage of you. if this doesn't get fixed now, it'll last for eternity. does she work? does she have money?

either talk to her, or bail out now.
    Yes she does work so she does have money. That's what I can't understand, why she could do something like that.

Feb 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriedguy
    You kind of answered own question. Marriage is out of the question unless you want to pay for everything. Most women this days will offer to pay for a couple of meals here and there or at least offer to pay a portion.

Asking someone to purchase a give is poor taste. Gifts are suppose to be from the heart. Its ok to suggest items..for an example you two are in a mall window shopping and she points an item that she likes you take a mental note of it.

I would be very cautious!

If you dont mind me asking how old are you two?

I am only 25 Yrs old. She is the same age as I am.
    garrettra Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Actually be thankful you are finding this out now. Consider it a warning. I have been married for 21 years, and my wife works, however I pay every bill in the house, paid for both cars, continue to pay the car insurance, lunch money for the kids, school clothes (twice a year), mortgage, food (every month I put in $300.00 towards groceries for 5people), and what we don't have during the week I have to buy. She REFUSES to even offer any help saying she ca't afford it! The only "Bill" towards the house that she pays is the phone and DSL. Granted I make about 4 times what she makes annually but here is my problem: She decided to volunteer to babysit (for free) for a young lady who used to date her son years ago. That's cool--the problem is the fact that she has the audacity to constantly ask me for money when she needs something! Her philosophy is that the man is supposed to take of the wife! I'm sorry but if you refuse to help me and volunteer your free services to someone else, then you probably need to go on a budget if you work and still don't have any money! I wish I saw the writing on the wall back in the day as you now do. Take my advice and run as fast as you can!! Believe it or not women are more likely to spend someone else's money before they will spend their own!

Feb 26, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettra
    Actually be thankful you are finding this out now. Consider it a warning. I have been married for 21 years, and my wife works, however I pay every bill in the house, paid for both cars, continue to pay the car insurance, lunch money for the kids, school clothes (twice a year), mortage, food (every month I put in $300.00 towards groceries for 5people), and what we don't have during the week I have to buy. She REFUSES to even offer any help saying she ca't afford it! The only "Bill" towards the house that she pays is the phone and DSL. Granted I make about 4 times what she makes annually but here is my problem: She decided to volunteer to babysit (for free) for a young lady who used to date her son years ago. That's cool--the problem is the fact that she has the audacity to constantly ask me for money when she needs something! Her philosophy is that the man is supposed to take of the wife! I'm sorry but if you refuse to help me and volunteer your free services to someone else, then you probably need to go on a budget if you work and still don't have any money! I wish I saw the writing on the wall back in the day as you now do. Take my advice and run as fast as you can!!!! Believe it or not women are more likely to spend someone else's money before they will spend their own!

Wow this sounds so much like me right now. The other thing is, her mom doesn't work and she comes from a family where the man has to do all. I try to stir up conversation most times to get what her trend of thought is on the matter without asking directly and she always fails.
    Once I expressed to her that I really don't like buying people christmas presents. Then she said well she loves it and she will use my money to get persons gifts for christmas. She never understood why I got upset.
    When we go out she NEVER walks with money. Once I told her that I hoped she walked with her vex money just in case she has to take the bus back home "just as a joke" and she said that she no longer walks with money when we go out. I have come to realise that she serioulsy doesn't even walk with her purse if we are going for dinner.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
    She is with out a doubt dead weight. She is definitely NOT marrying material. If you enjoy being with her there is not harm in it. But don't try to wife her.
    terellowens Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Feb 26, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Yeah clearly taking advantage
    garrettra Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I am already sunk because I didn't see the signs, don't let it happen to you.
    Adiutorig Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1982
    Me and my girlfriend have been going out for almost a year now. She is very loveable and a loving person. i have no problems with her except one problem.
    I intend to marry her but so far i cannot see what her contribution will be financially to our relationship. We go out all the time, to lunch & Dinner and not once has she ever picked up the tab or even suggest that she picked up the tab or even offer to help pay the tab.
    Even when we are home and go to the grocery to get some stuff to cook. i always pretend that i have little money with me or just enough and not once she has said if you don't have enough i have some you can use. This has never happened.

This Worries me and Scares me. She had also asked me for a very expensive Christmas gift. We have not been together for a year and she wanted a gift costing $3000 for Christmas. I don't think this will work out since i work very hard for the money i earn. Its not like i dont have enough cause i earn $220 a day but i need to know somehow what if we get married i have to pay all the bills.

Please help
    At the beginning of your relationship did you act as though money was no object? Because if that's the case, she may be used to the fact that she never needed to offer to pay for anything. It sounds like she needs a reality check. Make sure you communicate this issue with her because if you don't she will continue to burn a hole through your wallet.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Feb 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Seriously guys, this is why you don't TOTALLY spoil a woman in the beginning. Don't give into that princess crap. I would sit down with her and calmly and rationally talk about this.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Hey Guys, not all women are like this. When my husband and I were dating I was usually the one who paid when we went out, because I made more money. He would buy stuff when he wasn't behind on his bills, but mostly it was me. When we got married I paid for the majority of the bills in the house because I was still making more money than him. Don't lump all women together just because you've had some bad experiences.

Having said that, I do think that this girl is bad news and you should run as fast as you can. Do not look back, she might tackle you and take your wallet. Good luck finding a nice girl that isn't greedy and needy.

Feb 26, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettra
    I am already sunk because I didn't see the signs, don't let it happen to you.

Thank you. I have been battling with this issue for the past 2 months. I will take your advice.
    Cheers
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Does she have a job?
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Oh never mind! She does!

Feb 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adiutorig
    At the beginning of your relationship did you act as though money was no object? Because if that's the case, she may be used to the fact that she never needed to offer to pay for anything. It sounds like she needs a reality check. Make sure you communicate this issue with her because if you don't she will continue to burn a hole through your wallet.

Yes I did act that way before. But I prefer to do it that way because a woman who really cares about your money will actually say stuff like. I don't need this right now and let me pay this time no matter what. But from what I can see she doesn't care about my money and how hard I work for it. I gave her some money to go shopping. She actually came back and say that it is not enough . She needed some more to buy matching shoes

Feb 26, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Hey Guys, not all women are like this. When my husband and I were dating I was usually the one who paid when we went out, because I made more money. He would buy stuff when he wasn't behind on his bills, but mostly it was me. When we got married I paid for the majority of the bills in the house because I was still making more money than him. Don't lump all women together just because you've had some bad experiences.

Having said that, I do think that this girl is bad news and you should run as fast as you can. Do not look back, she might tackle you and take your wallet. Good luck finding a nice girl that isn't greedy and needy.

Thank you. I agree all women are'nt that way. This is the only one I have dated who is like this.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 26, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1982
    Thank you. I have been battling with this issue for the past 2 months. I will take your advice.
    Cheers
    Have you asked her about paying? I went out with a guy when I was single with 3 kids and he always wanted to go out to eat which I could not afford and once we went out he always picked these high end places I could not afford. We were together about 8 months when he said something to me... he was resenting me not offering to pay all along... and I said well we have to go to lower end places and sometimes not go out at all... I can't even afford half of these places you want to go to... so we stayed in more and also went to lower priced places sometimes. Problem solved (other things broke us up :) ).

I've never been known to be cheap (in fact exactly the opposite!) but he would decide where we were going and that we were going. I really could NOT afford to eat out the way he did so I never offered to pay. He was getting resentful and we had a good talk about it.

When I met my husband I think I offered once and he would not hear of it (that was early on). He's VERY uncomfortable with anyone else paying (even if we go out with another couple he wants to pick up the tab --> something I've had to make him stop doing)... but I offered early on.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
    How's that Kayne West song go again Now I ain't saying she's a golddigga but she ain't messin with no broke broke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend who owes me money wants to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my girlfriend for eight years. The house is in her name, and I pay her a monthy rent, plus half of utilites and other such expenses. She is also a student, and I have loaned her significant ammounts of money over the past four years, to help with her school expenses. ...

Tell me if this phrase helps anyone like it did me. [ 5 Answers ]

A friend recently talked to me after my break up of 1 years time with a girlfriend I thought I would die without... like my whole life was for her, and that probably hurt our relationship just as bad as her doing the same to me too. I gave her everything I was, and sacrificed so much and it was all...

Want money from ex girlfriend for dog [ 2 Answers ]

I bought an $1800 puppy for my girlfriend a year ago, we broke up, found out she never loved me, it was all an act. She's in Virginia, Im in Florida, I know I could file a claim in virginia but would I lose if I tried to take her to small claims court to get her to pay me the $1800 back?

Helps Needed [ 4 Answers ]

Hey peeps, how's things? OK so me and my ex have been split for 6weeks now, isn't heard from her in ages but here's the deal, recently I've been talking to another girl. She's really great, I enjoy talking to her and it reminds me of the way me and my ex used to be at the start. This girl...

Eeeps! Helps! [ 5 Answers ]

This is my first time on this site and really thankful I found it... but anyway on to my question... I've known this one guy for over 5 years already and we're closer than most. (I know this sounds like the old cliche' friends getting together idea but it's not all that great) moving on,...

View more questions Search